justathink

Apr 23, 2009
my son 10 yrs old wants to begin on a kx 80 i was thinking klx 110 he love the beef and wants a clutch even though he never used a clutch before. He only rides a 50. he is 4.6 a tall well proportioned and weighs 70 lbs ya i know, he is a determined boy who is very physical in all sports and top of his league in every one he is very competitive. he will ride in open field and yard this season next year when i get my bike well then we can go to the trails and take it from there, as i said in the my son has only road a 50 for a while no clutch, handles it well he looks ridiculous but he loves the feeling. as for as racing i can't afford that sport he has already asked "mom if i get good enough would you put me on a racing team?" i personally have never worked on a dirt bike but i am mechanically inclined more than the average person so if its routine or possible we will together learn to maintain our bikes, my son has what seems to be a preference toward kawasaki don't know why and as for as motor choice I'm a green horn that's why we are here, there are a few used dealers around that we have been watching my son has been saving we have to catch a deal no more than 800. all input welcome. please help us decide which bikes are worth his savings and appropriate thanks

Last edited:

Dirtymotonut

Crazy Ole Bag
~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 2008
Never hurts to let him try! I have a friend who has a 6 year old grandson at about 50 pounds who is riding a 2 stroke 80 and cannot touch the ground and is very tiny for his age and man that kid can fly!Jumping is awesome to watch also! He has large blocks to stand on to get on the thing and grandpa catches him when he has to stop. I have seen him crash and get right back on and go like crazy so it is possible, just be ready for the crashes!
He out rides allot of us adults at 6....

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
You don't mention his age but unless he is still 6 based on his size an 80 should be fine. The biggest factor with an $800 budget should be the condition of the bike instead of hanging yourself up on a brand.

Another factor to consider with 80/85 cc race bikes is that the Kawasaki and Suzuki have a powervalve which make them a "little" more user friendly in that they have a bit more bottom end power and don't hit quite as violently as the Honda and Yamaha.

If you are mechanically inclined there is nothing on a dirt bike that you couldn't handle with a service manual.

justathink

Apr 23, 2009
thank you

son is 10 yes we are definitely looking for mechanically sound bike and the only real preference to brand i see that he should not buy is one of the Internet specials i say that with no experience just don't wan't to see him get burned if i'm wrong than we may have passed up some great bikes cheap.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
My first recommendation is to get that big boy off that little bike! I have seen a bunch of people get hurt from riding a bike too small for them as their weight and center of gravity being so high is just asking for a trip over the handlebars.

I suspect that the KLX110 will shortly be too small as well, if it isn't too small already. Consider the fact that the KX80 has more than twice the suspension travel of the KLX110. The last thing you want is for your son to hit a jump and have the suspension be insufficient to handle the landing. You may think that you are protecting your kid by limiting the performance of the bike but the truth is that given a long enough run any bike can get going fast enough to hit a jump but the right bike will allow him to survive the jump.

You should also invest in all the proper riding gear. Helmet, chest protector, knee pads, elbow pads, riding pants, boots, googles, gloves. Perhaps even a good neck brace. It is a given that he will hit the dirt, the proper gear avoid a lot of the injuries.

Rod

justathink

Apr 23, 2009
thank you

i don't want to hold him back i't just been a long time since I've been around bikes and i don't want to wast everyone's time going to look at bikes that are to big. just want to look for something that he going to ba able to get on and will last a while. yes protection a must thanks again

justathink

Apr 23, 2009
need advice

2000 Yamaha rt100 dirt bike for sale guy wants 550 obo called him asked about the bike he told me the muffler needs to be welded on and the forks are slightly bent but ride able sent me pics do you think we should even think about this or is this already to much of a headache , my oldest son is graduating from a trade school welding is is trade and he is real good. thanks for your help.

justathink

Apr 23, 2009
thanks

ya been doing my home work ome parts 250. ant cant locate them else ware still checking the bone yard (cycle pro)just for the heck of it wonder if its something me and my son can do?

Top Bottom