Sorry, another fork question

MBH

Dec 3, 2003
I've decided to install some XR400 .40kg/mm springs in my KDX220 forks. I weigh 195# w/ gear, am a recreational woods rider, and prefer a fairly plush ride since I ride a lot of rutted/rocky trails. No big jumps. After reading through a lot of great posts on this site, I'm thinking about going with the following settings:

- Preload of 5-10 mm
- 5w fork oil (thoughts on going with 7w?)
- 100mm oil level
- Aim for 1-1.5" of free sag, approx 2.5-3.00" when seated; Adjust spacer accordingly.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks, MBH

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
Yes, but I wouldn't go over 5mm preload to start with. I run 3mm with 7wt and .43kg Eibach XR400 springs. I also have Gold Valves and weigh 225lbs bare. I run 1" of free sag (if I'm remembering right). 100mm on the oil level sounds about right. Sounds like .40s will easily be plenty of spring rate for your weight and riding style. I certainly wouldn't go any stiffer then that. 5wt. might make things a little plusher, but remember it will also lighten rebound too.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
You are on the right track. Start in the range you have suggested and fine tune to fit your use. I use the XR 38's with 10mm of preload, but I am lighter than you plus slower. Most of the time I ride on rocky rough terrain. You will enjoy your mod! Cheers John

Top Bottom