Spark Arrestor/ Silencer Question

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I have an FMF power core silencer. For those occasions like Turkey Runs or “Dual Sport” (hah!) rides that require a spark arrestor, I have been installing the heavy stock unit. Kind of a PITA and I’ve been thinking about getting a Silencer/Spark arrestor combo. FMF & PC seem to be the two main contenders and I have a couple of questions for anyone who has experience with these.

1) Which one is easiest to repack. Does either use pop rivet construction that requires you to grind and drill the rivets each time you need to repack?

2) Which one is quieter?

3) What’s the fit/finish quality like?

TIA

Last edited:

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
I can tell you the FMF doesn't fit the bike at all. Its a pain in the ass to install and will probably require a couple trips to the harware store. I have heard the PC fits well but don't have any personal exp. The FMF TC2 is screwed together so its easy to take apart.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
BRUSH,

My bike came with a Cobra spark arrestor that fits on the end of the FMF silencer. It's a little heavy, doesn't affect power, & is US Forestry approved. Since the State Parks in MD don't require spark arrestors, I usually don't use it; I think the cost about $45.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Thanks. It's good to hear the FMF has screws. The photos on the FMF website made it look a lot like pop rivets.

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
I have a Pro Circuit pipe and silencer (although not the spark arrester). They fit great. PC's silencers use stainless steel on each side of the canister. The front side uses allen screws and it's very easy to repack.

Hope this helps some....

Patrick

Mar 6, 2002
KDX 2002 with KG30: fit up to stock silencer is ok. Pro Circuit s/a to FMF KG30 or stock pipe not Ok. It forces you to bridge the connection which results in lower vertical postion of S/A. It gives me room to fit my hand between the S/A and the fender though.

Top Bottom