454sss

Oct 12, 2007
I have a 1983 Honda XL185S, got it running and then discovered that the spark plug was fouling up bad, killing the engine after idleing for 10-15 seconds. I could clean the plug, fire it up again and the same thing would happen. Plug was wet with oil each time I pulled it.

Pulled the valve cover moments ago, intake valve side was dry, and there was oil in the center section with the cam, and a bunch of oil puddled up on the exhaust valve. This doesn't seem right, and I am guessing that when the exhaust valve opens, some oil is getting back into the cylinder, fouling the plug and killing the engine.

Any ideas on why there would be this pool of oil sitting only on the exhaust side or what might be causing it?

Paul

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
454sss said:
I have a 1983 Honda XL185S,
Any ideas on why there would be this pool of oil sitting only on the exhaust side or what might be causing it?
Paul

If I remember correctly, your engine sits at a slight forward angle. This would cause the top end oil to drain to the front of the engine and puddle at the valve stem. This is normal. If the valve guides are excessively worn or the guide seals are bad, it would cause the engine to smoke but it should still run. You may also have worn rings or a rusted cylinder if it has been sitting for a long time.

I would suggest doing a compression check and making sure the pilot jet is clean.

Top Bottom