Spark Plugs vs. Fuel and Oil Choice

Dragmeistr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 14, 2002
Ok, I have read all the threads I could find in a search and also read some of the supplements people have posted links for, but have not found the answer I am looking for. Maybe someone can help. My question is, will different fuels/oils affect plug color?
I have an 03' CR250 that I have recently started to run VP Ultimate 2 in along with the Honda HP2 oil. I feel that my jetting is real close by judging the mixture ring on a plug that I tore apart.
My concern is, the spark plugs I have used are void of any color. I have tried the br8eg, br8eix, br9eix and none of them will produce any color at all. When I ran C12 and Yamalube I got the mocha color that everyone seems to want to get. Since switching fuels/oils I cannot get any color. I have even jetted it rich in an attempt to see if I could and could not. Am I just lucky and have it jetted so well that the engine is running cleanly and not producing any extra by-products to leave on the electrode or is this something I need to take a look at more closely? If this has been beat to death in another thread, Im sorry, but I couldnt find it. Thanks for your help.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Dragmeistr said:
My question is, will different fuels/oils affect plug color?

ABSOLUTELY. The color of the insulator will be very much dependent on what is burning in the chamber. When the insulator is running at the correct temperature two-strokes running unleaded fuels tend to show very little color on the nose and four-strokes show even less.

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Rich he said he was running u2 thats leaded gas. Last year I ran c12 and yamalube and my plugs always had plenty of color. I also switched to u2 and Klotzr-50 My plugs are still showing color but not as much. Maybe the combo of u2 and hp2 burns real clean. Or maybe you just need some more time on them to show color.

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Ya I guess thats plenty of time. BTW I am sure Rich knows that u2 is leaded. I dont think I needed to tell him that. My bike ran just a bit leaner with the u2 because of its oxy. But It was not a big difference. I guess if you were jetted close with your old mix you should be ok.

Top Bottom