mike-evans

Sep 16, 2009
Fitted new reeds yesterday, started bike, it run for a few seconds then died, checked plug for spark, and no spark, cut 1 inch off plug lead-now have spark...

When your kicking away at the bike and its not starting, how can you be sure you got a spark, and that's not the reason it won't start?

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
The way most check for spark is to remove plug, attach cap and hold bottom of plug up to cylinder to ground it. Kick and watch plug. Easy on old two strokes, kind of a pain to get to on some newer four strokes.

mike-evans

Sep 16, 2009
2strokerfun said:
The way most check for spark is to remove plug, attach cap and hold bottom of plug up to cylinder to ground it. Kick and watch plug. Easy on old two strokes, kind of a pain to get to on some newer four strokes.

ok, that is the way I check to see if I have a spark, but what I mean is, instead of blaming the non starting bike on float height, reeds, pilot jet etc, how can I be sure that the spark is constantly good, and not the reason it won't start?

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
you can plug the wire at your tongue and check if has electric current. works for me to check AA batteries :yikes:

now seriouly, there is a tool to check the spark power. the service manual explains the procedure and the acceptable specs.
basicly there is a adjustable gap inside a tube, and if reads less than x (consult service manual) mm, usually around 7mm, something is wrong.
ohm testing all the coils and cdi per service manual is a good way to know what part is damaged.

some thing like this:
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0122/

hope it helps :cool:

Top Bottom