G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Originally posted by fuzzy
R type plugs are specified for use in KDX's due to the lighting equipment.

well not exactly;
Resistor plugs supress rf emissions that can effect electronic equipment, including some CDI's itself.

as example, 89-94 USA KDX's do not spec a resistor plug, but Canadian and UK bikes do, where FCC or their equivilent agencies have different criteria.

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
I thought compression of the gases (air and fuel mix) was to concentrate the vapors to maximize the explosion in the cyclinder. The more fuel/air mixture one can cram into the cyclinder in a vapor form the bigger the explosion and the higher the horsepower. 2 cycle stages: 1) intake-compression (of fuel mix/air), 2) Power (explosion of vapors)-exhaust (pushing out smoke, some unspent fuel). It is the explosion of the vapors in the cyclinder that drives the whole thing and produces th horsepower.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Yes... but a good seal is the important thing. It is what produces the compression and oil is what helps seal it. Right guys? Help a guy out here.... CC? CD? :scream:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Help with what? Howabout everyone's right?

Most any statement can be picked apart in some way. Unless you just want to pick, or maybe there is an underlying point being missed or glossed over, what's the point of picking?

re: 'The more complete the fuel is burned the "more bang for the buck" (power).'

Well, sure. Heat = power, the more fuel is burned, the more heat is generated.

Pick it? Well, why not run 20 parts air to one part fuel, then? THAT will generate some heat!! Yeah...but engine melting or death-due-to-detonation/pre-ignition isn't 'cool'! (ha..sometimes I kill myself! ;) )

re: 'Yes... but a good seal is the important thing.'

Well, sure. An air pump that can't hold air doesn't work too good.

Pick it? I don't know about the important thing. A 'well sealed' 100psi combustion pressure (reeds shot? exhaust leak?) won't accomplish much. Might not accomplish anything if you can't get it lit when it's cold!

And, you can pick any of that apart if you want, too.

Speaking of picking....there isn't any 'explosion' going on. There hadn't better be, anyway. Of course, if you were perched on a chaise lounge set-up off in the squish band somewhere's, it sure might look pretty expodin' to you!

re: resistor plugs

The collapse of the hi-voltage field in the wire if you don't have an 'r' plug is what broadcasts the 'noise' that may damage stuff. The 'r' in the plug prevents the collapse of that field.

While there isn't any proof that kdx units are damaged without an 'r' plug, it's tough to prove a negative, so it's stupid to say that it absolutely never has happened or will happen.

It's cheap insurance, so why not use it? Besides, you wouldn't want your non-'r' bike to interfere with your buddy's ignition when you're peg to peg, would you?

...Hhhmmm...I gotta' go get a new plug! ;)

Cheers!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
CC wrote…“Speaking of picking....there isn't any 'explosion' going on.”

The term I usually see to describe combustion is “flame propagation”. This term implies that unlike an explosion, combustion takes a deliberate and timed path.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
'Propagation' being defined as 'natural reproduction...'

I wanna know what's goin' on in there!!!

pick pick pick...;)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom