Special tool for Steering head bearings

Gomes-nz

~SPONSOR~
Apr 4, 2002
I rebuilt my front end over the winter, along with the steering head bearings. I had the dilemma of how to torque the steering head bearings.........ie the special tool. I made one and wanted to share this with other. Excuse me if others have already done this, but I think there would be some that haven't seen it.

Please see attached picture. A picture paints a thousand words.

I used this tool, to tourque my steering head, and it worked great. I idea is to put the torque wrench on the top and the tool on the steering head nut.

Note this is pure number 8 wire, type invention. Takes about 30 minutes to make, and 10 USD of hardware from the plumbing section of home depot. Note that I tapped the pipe with #10 screws.

Good luck, and e-mail and questions.
tks

Attachments

• special-tool2.jpg
    special-tool2.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 233

Gomes-nz

~SPONSOR~
Apr 4, 2002
Here is what you need to make it:

1-1/2"x6" black pipe
4x #10 bolts 1" and nuts
1-1/2" - 3/4" coupler
3/4" - 1/2" coupler
and then some fitting on the top to match your socket set.

Also you will need to drill the pipe to fit the #10 bolts, suggest that you tap it as well so that you can thread in the bolts and lock them in position with the nuts.
I had a brass fitting on the top, which I had lying around. Can be seen in the photos.

Note that when you start torquing up the steering head, you will also be torquing up the fittings on this custom tool. Also you have to hold it straight over the steering stem. I did this buy myself and worked a treat.

Latter

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom