Splitting XR cases, Tips/Tricks/tools?

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
I have deen discussing this in the Thumper forum but have not gotten any answers.

I need to split my cases on my '00 XR4 to replace the shift shaft. I know through looking at the manual is is an involved project and this will be one heck of a learning experience.

What I need is any input from someone who has tackled something like this as to any tips or tricks, any "gotchas" I should look out for, and if you can think of any special tools that will make this a little easier.

Rod

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Rod.

It has been a while since I have had a XR400 apart, but, if my memory serves me correctly:eek: you don't have to split the center cases to remove the shift shaft.

Remove the right side case and it will expose the shift mechanism. You will probably have to remove the clutch. Disconnect the shift ratchet mechanism from the shift drum and remove the shift lever from the left side and the shift shaft should slide out the right side.

If the shift shaft is bent on the lever side, be sure to take a piece of pipe or tubing that fits tightly over the shaft end and straighten it before trying to remove it from the cases. Otherwise it could damage the bore in the cases where the shift shaft rides.

The main recommendation that I could make would be to purchase a service manual and read it thru before taking the bike apart.

Just my $.02.

Last edited:

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Thanks but I've checked with two different parts sources and they both confirmed that the cases need to come apart to do it.

Wish it was not the case. I have access to a manual, just have not had the chance to drive out to get it yet.

Rod

Top Bottom