jjcobra99

Oct 17, 2002
Just did mine the other day. Used the advice I found on here. Pick a starting point (I used the valve stem), tighten spokes 1/4 to 1/2 turn, do every third one, and go around three times. I went around a few more times, because some of my spokes were pretty loose. I used my calibrated wrist ;) to get the torque right. Seemed to work fine for me, and the bike felt fine, but then again, I'm no pro. It does seem like a logical way to do it though. Hope this helps!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Ditto.;)

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
just outta curiousity, would it be even better to go every 5th spoke or every 7th??

Just wondering if there would be some added benefit to making each additional adjustment further from the same side of the wheel as the previous adjustment?

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I think as long as the wheel is true, every third will be fine, as long as you don't over tighten and pull the rim one way or another. Your just checking for tightness, not truing the rim.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Sorry, it's in the printed magazine. I should have specified. I wouldn't have mentioned it but it shows detailed pictures, and you know how a picture is worth a thousand words..

2000SE

May 7, 2002
so what do you do?....Hold the spoke with a pair of needle nose and use a spoke wrench..what if the spoke is slightly rusted and will not turn?

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
The nipple should turn freely, if not, it's seized. The best way is to spray some WD or other anti seize stuff in each nipple or you can take the wheel off and spray it in from the underside, under the tube. I move my spokes once a month, whether they need tightening or not and I spray some WD on them and spin the wheel in place to help with gravity. If you hold the spoke, which is OK, sometimes it will snapp the nipple at the spoke. It'll also booger up your spoke by holding it. Preventative maintenance is the best way to avoid this, especially if you ride in water once and a while.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom