Jun 12, 2005
Has anyone ever done this as a cheap way to color your rims? I want black rims and dont want to pay for new black rims. I could get them powdercoated or anodized but if i can spray paint them for like 1/15 of the price. Im thinking of just taping up all the spokes instead of having to unlace and re lace the rim which i cant do so i will have to pay a shop to do. I was thinking of spraying on acouple coats of a glossy black then finishing off with acouple coats of clear coat. Do you think this combo would hold up?

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
I think you finished product will look good but i'm unsure about the durability of the paint. The key will be getting a good primer bond on the aluminum. We paint aluminum at work and after we scuff the surface to get a "water break-free surface" we use a chemical on the aluminum to get good primer adhesion.This process is your key building block/foundation that cannot be left out. Now there are some self-etching primers out there but I dont know anything about those.My opinion is not to mess with it,cause if the paint starts chipping you will be sorry you messed with it.

Crazy

Cr 1_2_5

Nov 13, 2005
Its a good idea but the price of doing it right with the right paints and primers and tools ect. required it would be costly.I've painted rims before and without un-lacing them its a real pain in the but, plus it doesnt look as good. But if you take the time and use the right things, GOOD paint and clearcoat i'd say its worth a shot.

Jun 12, 2005
Yah i just dont want to pay the labour for getting my tires took off, rims un laced, then the rims laced again and the tires put on. But im kind of douting the durabilty of spray painting them. What would be the best way to do it if i was going to spray them laced up. What primers to use and what paints would be durable enough?

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
The three most important things to do when painting are:

1- preparation
2- preparation
3- preparation

But aluminum scratches easily and rattle can paints are notoriously poor. If you can shoot some urethane clear over top it will go a long way to help. Two part urethane shot from a paint gun.

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
Polyurethane paint, or clear over your color coat is you're only hope. Nothing else will last. Acrylic enamel, which is what you are generally getting out of a can will look real bad after a one, or two,, rides. Either way, if you are not intending to take the rim apart, you won't be happy with the result. I recommend against it.

Top Bottom