oubowtie06

Aug 3, 2008
ok i have a 2005 yz250f and i have been talking to a few guys that ride pretty often and i bought the bike used first of all and they all tell me that my sprocket is about 75% worn so what sprocket should i get and what size i ride almost every weekend and a track not trails and i ride periodically in this 4 acre lot across from the house no jumps though just turns can anyone point me in a direction?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
If you are happy with the gearing as it is then buy the same size sprocket that is on it now. The front sprocket is easy to count. The rear sprocket will probably have the count stamped in it, the number is probably around 51.

I recommend that you change both sprockets and the chain at the same time.

If you feel like you need to change the gearing then you can go up or down in size. Changing a tooth on the front sprocket is big. One tooth difference on the rear is a small change. Going larger on the rear or smaller on the front will give you more low end torque, better for climbing hills. Going smaller on the rear or larger on the front will give you greater top speed.

If you are riding a track then you probably don't really need either end: no monster hills to climb and no straight aways long enough to hit 6th gear. In this case you can change the gearing to accommodate track conditions so that the gearing is better as you come out of the turns or approach a jump.

Rod

Oct 2, 2008
If you need to replace a sprocket and your wondering about gearing it really depends on what you want, like you already know if your happy you should leave it like it is, but if you want a little more bottem end you might want a 53 tooth rear sprocket, but if you feel like your topping out to fast you might want a 48 tooth sprocket. If you need to change your rear sprocket your front one is probably not far behind. Changing one tooth on your front spocket is like changing three teeth on the rear sprocket.

Top Bottom