leishmaa

Nov 14, 2004
I have a 13 tooth front and a 50 tooth rear sprocket set-up which is still in good condition. I want to switch to a 48 tooth rear sprocket and someone told me that I need to replace the whole set-up .. front sprocket, rear sprocket, and chain.
Does anyone out there know if this is true? Do you guys always change the whole set-up, or am I ok with just changing the rear sprocket. Why? thanks

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
First thing is to inspect the teeth of both sprockets. If there is no visible wear at all, and the teeth look fresh, then more than likely the chain is still within limits on the pitch.

When the chain pitch changes, it will start to wear on the sprocket teeth.
The "rule-of-thumb" for changing the whole thing out as a set is based on the fact that most riders have a bad habit of not changing things out until the chain has stretched past limits and started to damage the sprocekt teeth.
Learn the proper way to measure your chain links. If you keep an eye on your chain, and not let it elongate past ~1.5% of what if was at new before taking it off, then you can continue to use the same sprockets. If there is no visible damage at all on the teeth, why would you not be able to use them? You CAN use them, and continue to do so, AS LONG as you keep an eye on your chain.

If you find that a bit more maint. than you want to perform, then wait till you see the teeth start to hook or point, and change out the whole schmear.

gowen

Aug 2, 2000
Jaybird said:
First thing is to inspect the teeth of both sprockets. If there is no visible wear at all, and the teeth look fresh, then more than likely the chain is still within limits on the pitch.

When the chain pitch changes, it will start to wear on the sprocket teeth.
The "rule-of-thumb" for changing the whole thing out as a set is based on the fact that most riders have a bad habit of not changing things out until the chain has stretched past limits and started to damage the sprocekt teeth.
Learn the proper way to measure your chain links. If you keep an eye on your chain, and not let it elongate past ~1.5% of what if was at new before taking it off, then you can continue to use the same sprockets. If there is no visible damage at all on the teeth, why would you not be able to use them? You CAN use them, and continue to do so, AS LONG as you keep an eye on your chain.

If you find that a bit more maint. than you want to perform, then wait till you see the teeth start to hook or point, and change out the whole schmear.

That pretty much sums that one up! Good advice! :cool:

taksx

Oct 7, 2004
anlie
looked like one of the sprockets had a little bit of ware but i cant really remember wich one. if your tight on cash stick with the rear for now although buying a kit from moto-old looked like a sweet deal. :nener:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom