Sprockets/chain combo, what to get??

ScottZJ

Aug 17, 2004
Hey,
I just got a super nice 2000 KDX last week. Its just about mint and runs super nice. I already put a skid plate on it, got a torque ring to install along with hand guards. After this passed weekend of riding some hardcore trails in Ark, my chain is toast(its still the stock one).
I have been out of bikes for a few years but have tons of 3 wheelers, is there a better chain and sprocket kit for the KDX other than the average Xring chain? I will change the sprockets out at the same time, as I have never done just one part of the chain system(change the sprockets out new and worn chain will wear them and vice versa). Where is the best deal on them too? Thanks

Last edited:

prk03

~SPONSOR~
Jun 24, 2002
Sunstar steel sprockets and RK x-ring chain has worked great for me. Once I put it on I adjusted one time and that is all. That was 2 years ago and probably 1500 miles of trail riding. They still have a lot of miles to go. I went with 13-49 sprockets for more low end but lost some top end speed. I get most of my stuff at Dennis Kirk with great service. I order on Monday and get it on Thursday.

John Cena

Nov 11, 2004
Rockymountain has RK xring chains 520 X-RING Chain, 520x120, RK $51.99 seems pretty cheap. They got some primary drive steel rear sprockets for 14.99 seems cheap? Never used that brand of sprocket before though.

kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
I just put on 13/50 and an X-ring chain. Primary Drive on all of it. Got it all from RockyMtn ATV. They take about a week to get stuff to me in TN. I believe they are in Utah? I did buy an FRP lower chain guide too because of the larger rear chainring and the X-ring chain is wider and will rub the stock chain guide. Haven't put in a ride yet to give feedback on durability, but The Primary Drive stuff is cheap. We'll see. I did get some good lube from Jaybird (MX 1000) and I do know that chain care is the key to it lasting. I have tooled around in the yard though and all I can say is WOW on bottom end improvement over the 13/47. Lots of people go with a 12 up front, but with the wider X-ring chain I was leary of it rubbing the case. It is already very close to the case. Also the 12 will wear out the roller pins quicker.

layoutd

May 17, 2004
my bike came stock with 13/48 (early 1998 model) i was going to goup to a 50 rear until i put on the gnarly pipe. no need for the change now. plenty of low end, and the gearing is there for a little speed

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Sunstar Z sprockets and Renthal O Ring chain have lasted longer/less stretch than any others for me.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
More teeth on the rear sprocket will required a longer chain than stock and can cause some problems with the stock chain guide/guard fit/function. Going to an O-ring chain from a non o ring chain can cause some wear problems in the stock chain guide also. The longer chain and guide problems have caused some (including me) to use a 12 tooth front, rather than a larger rear.

nrvs-nelly

Oct 25, 2003
I run a 13/49 combo also. The RK x-ring chains are a great product for the money, you can't go wrong. I also use Moose sprockets.
I'm up the NE area and use a guy out of NH for my parts. Top notch service and competitive prices. www.advantagemotorsports.net Ask for Bob at the counter and tell him I sent you.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…