huskyboy

Feb 5, 2000
Up here in Canada, the winters are long so we are getting very anxious to ride. Does anyone know when the St. Anthony sand dunes in Idaho are ready to ride (warm enough, free of snow, etc.) Any information on them would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Katoom

Feb 19, 2002
I was there last year in June and rode for two days in mild 70 degree weather, then I woke up the third day and there was three inches of snow on the ground!! I'm not sure how it is this time of year but, my guess is that it will still be covered with snow until mid April

mknight

Jun 14, 2000
You're probably "safe" from about May 1 forward for the St. Anthony Dunes but going in early May you shoudn't be surprised if you have bad weather. That time of the year it could just as easily be a snowstorm as it could be 70 degree blue sky days. I'm in Utah and the St. Anthony dunes are about 3 hours north of us. The Utah Little Sahara/Jericho dunes are about 2 and a half hours south and I rode there a week ago (a day after a snowstorm in Salt Lake City). There wasn't a trace of snow anywhere and it was absolutely gorgeous....I couldn't have asked for a better day. If you've really got the itch you could drive a few more hours south to Utah.

Kwi-Chang

Nov 17, 1999
Mr Knight - I am envious that you have been riding. I picked up the new 520EXC about four weeks ago and it turned cold the next AM and started snowing & snowing and... well you get the picture.

Normally in Southern Alberta (where huskyboy is too) we get Chinooks which are like the Santa Anas and the Sciroco (sp?) winds. Chinook is native for 'snow eater' and when the winds kick in, the temperature can rise 40-50f in an hour & - BAM - snow gone. Chinooks don't seem to mind if the snow is yellow either. Equal Opportunity Snow Eater.

I'm not sure if it is the El Nino or what but we have had a mild winter until I bought the new bike. The arctic air dropped in, just like an unwanted guest, and then decided to stay too long, like a unwanted drunken guest.

Usually there is riding in the south eastern part of Alberta. The area is a northern desert with cactus and rattlesnakes. Riding can be had anywhere there is south facing slopes - these are free of snow and the ground is not frozen. Just recently the snow has decended along with the temperatures and we haven't got a break from it.

So to make a short story long, we are looking for a place to happen - preferably within a 4-6 hr drive. One of my employees got so desperate he drove about 9 hrs towards the west coast, rode a race and then came back all in a day and a half. The race was a mud-fest and, being his 1st race *and* 1st ride of the year, Mr Gung Ho was so tired and beaten up he couldn't work on Monday. That is an acceptable excuse for not showing up in our Company. (Mr Gung Ho is Brent with the WR250F you met riding with us in Crack Canyon last May).

As you can tell we have riding on the brain right now and need a fix real quick. The 520 has 2.9 km on it. It's just not right! Why do bad things happen to good people?

Kwi, the 'ready for a road trip' guy

mknight

Jun 14, 2000
Kwi-Chang.....you seem to have a little ummmmm "pent-up frustration" of the riding type. Actually I know how you feel and that is why it felt so awesome to ride last week. There is nothing quite like the first few rides of spring after enduring cold and snow all winter. The conditions were epic, with just enough moisture in the sand and dirt to provide ultimate traction. There were endless miles of up and down desert trails, cow trails, dodging cedar trees, blitzing whoops, and 3rd gear pinned corners with perfect traction. Have I made you jealous yet? :p I'll bet you're looking forward to your trip down here to Utah soon.

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
Hey,
I'm from Pocatello, Idaho, about an hour and a half away from the dunes. I drove by about two weeks ago and there was still a bunch snow. I don't think that they are quite ready yet since were still getting snow here and there. Wait till mid april and you should be fine. It's not too warm yet, still thirties to forties.

Top Bottom