standing up and twisting the throttle

rybo3

Jun 13, 2002
i seem to have problem with getting the throttle turned more than 3/4 open when i am standing up. this is a physical problem : i.e. my wrist doesn't bend that far due to my body position and how i grip the throttle. i know it is not good to overgrip the throttle, so i am basically looking for some suggestions that i can try.

i have tried rotating my bars forward in the clamps to put my self in a better position, but it seemed to make my bike handle weird. the steering seemed to get quicker and less stable.( is this normal?) i ebded up putting them back the way they were. did i just not give it enough time, or am i going about it the wronf way.

i am 6'1'', 215 pounds and like to ride track and trail.

thanks for your inout

Anssi

May 20, 2001
I have the same exact problem. I don't know what you mean by overgripping not being good, that has been my primary means of trying to get rid of this problem (I try to overgrip the throttle when finishing braking to get a handful of gas on the next straight).

A different bar bend, different grips(the rubber things), different grips(ways of grabbing on to the bar), strenght training for forearms(to get better control when wrists close to maximum flex) are all things worth trying.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Over-gripping the throttle is a good thing at times.

Another thing to try is to grasp the throttle more like a door knob than a barbell. That way you twist the throttle more by twisting your wrist than by bending it. Also very useful in right hand turns.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Another thing to be careful of is rotating those bars too far forward. When you do, the bar ends end up pointing up and your wrists will be turned in an uncomfortable and weak poisition. When viewed from the front, the bar ends should be level, not pointing up.

Can Can Kev

Feb 24, 2003
why type and year of biek is it, reason i say is my old 81 xr had liek a half throttle turn to wide open while ive seen some of the brand new bikes have just a 1/4 or so it seems.... this could be a problem as it was on my old xr....
solutiuon new throttle tube assebily??

jacobone

Feb 3, 2003
when i ride i have the same problem so i have to rev the dirtbike then when i let off the trottle i slide my hand forward so i can rev the bike farther

rybo3

Jun 13, 2002
so basically what you guys are telling me, is to change my grip on the throttle and maybe go with some taller bars. my feeling is that my current bars are to low because when i am sitting, i can get the throttle open, but the problem comes in when i am standing.

also, conditioning does come in to play as the weather has just started getting nice enough to ride here in w. wash.

i have a '99 kx 250

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
The regrip is the ticket. Gomer was right. And ergonomics is always nice when set up properly. If your a taller gentlemen which you obviously are. I would go w/a CR high bar bend, and possibly some triple clamps that position the bars futher forward. Gomer was also right about the adjustment of the bars. You don't want them pointing at the sky as it makes for an ackward riding position. Also something to remeber is that you want to be doing the majority of the holding on to the bike w/your legs not your arms. That way your arms pump up less, and it makes it easier for the to regrip the throttle and not have to worry about going WFO into the woods past the corner you were shooting for. ;)

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
No cornering would be better because you could actually feel comfortable on the bike and you could then fit your legs under the bars when you corner. :)

Jeepboy

Oct 25, 2000
Regripping used to be a problem or awkward for me until I learned to relax my grip. When you are holding on to the grips real hard it is difficult to regrip, but if you have a relaxed grip it is much easier...also helps with arm pump and fatigue.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Thanks Gomer, that door knob analogy is great, just sitting here, I can see what a difference that'll make. Can't wait to try it. :thumb:

Top Bottom