mdigilio06

Sep 29, 2008
yes i got a 98 klx 300 and i cant start it i had it for about 2 weeks now and it will not start new plug new oil and filter i checked all the wire new kill switch button everything new gas i tool the carb apart and cleaned everything i had a kdx storke and had no prob starting hot or cold now i cant even start this freakin thing so mad. i was told to buy a hot start kit but i cant find one anywhere or any website that sells them for a 98 klx 300 iam so mad i cant even ride my bike. it wont start cold or hot nuttin..PLEASE HELP ME OUT.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
It's a 10 year old bike so there are a number of things that could be at fault. If you are sure you have the basics covered, good spark, adequate fuel, and adequate compression it's worth checking the valve clearance. The KLX motors have somewhat of a history of valve issues.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2006
that's the worst bummer! It happens. You already have someone on board that knows how to help you. Lucky guy. Settle down, be methodical and communicate to Rich.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I'm betting on the valves, plus you gotta kick it "4-stroke style" and not like a 2-stroke.

kick it through it's stroke until it "catches", then bring it back up top, then give it a good healthy kick, repeat.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I would force the issue, at least once just to see if it was capable of running.

Load it into the truck, take it to the top of a hill. Get rolling down the hill then pop it into 2nd or 3rd gear (Not 1st). If you don't have a hill nearby you can try towing it but be very careful!

If it won't bump start, or if it starts but just won't keep running then you know that there is something very wrong in either ignition, compression or fuel system.

There is also a chance that once you have managed to get it started once, warmed up and everything lubed and moving properly that it will be easier to start thereafter.

Rod

Top Bottom