starts hot but won't start cold

syko

Jan 10, 2004
got my 06 crf250. just about broken it in but when it comes to first start of the day it takes forever. it will fire eventually but only after leg numbing pain has set in.

the way i have to get it to fire is to kick it over for a few mins, choke out, idle turned up a bit. then leave it for a few mins. then put choke in, kick a few more times then it usually trys to fire. when i just about get it going i pull out the choke to sustain it otherwise it just dies again. warm her up and then she's good for the rest of the day, start easy from that point on. hot or cold.

so, whats all that about???

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
syko.

Congrats on the new ride. :cool:

You may be flooding the bike. Try starting it without touching the throttle and without the choke. If you accidently twist the throttle while kicking it, it will flood. Hold the right side handlebar by the front brake resivour instead of the throttle until you get used to it. If it won't start, choke it and try again.

If it still won't start give the throttle a couple twists like procircuitdude said. My 450 starts cold with just a couple twists of the throttle and no choke but, I may be in warmer conditions than you are. The one's we get here in California are jetted very lean and it helps to install a larger pilot jet. Not sure about the UK models.

If you think it is flooded, turn the throttle wide open and hold it open while you kick it over about 8-10 times while holding the kill button. This will clean it out. Then, with no throttle, try kicking it again.

Usually if the valves are tight, it will be harder to start when hot. If it starts ok when hot, it's most likely not the valves. It's a good idea to check them anyway and often.

Good luck.

Ol'89r

motodawg

Sponsoring Member
May 1, 2002
First start of the day, at or near freezing, wick the throttle 5-6 times with the "choke" on at let it warm up with the choke on until you feel the head warm up. Go get yourself an aftermarket fuel screw up can tweak by hand. It will make your life much easier.

syko

Jan 10, 2004
thanks for the replies guys, apprecieted.

I think your probably right about the flooding.
at the moment it is seriously cold here, about -2 to 0 degrees. (nasty cold!)
i'll try it without the choke the weekend and see how it goes.
i do check the valves often but as it's brand new haven't checked them yet and, as you said, once it's been started once it starts perfect all day.

thanks again.

Rouse5369

Mar 3, 2005
i just got my crf 250 2006 and it starts fine cold hot or whenever. ive had it about two weeks of course we live in Ga and i see your much colder, maybe it is a jetting problem for your climate.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom