Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
My bike has lost spark and I've done all the usual things, next up is to check the stator resistance. I have no idea what it's SUPPOSED to be on this bike (2002 TM 400MX) and I doubt anyone else reading this does either.. That's why I'm asking, is there any way to determine what it should be? The TM distributor is out of town until next week and I can't speak Italian, so calling the factory is out of the question. My problem seems to be an isolated case as other dealerships don't know the answer, as they've never had to deal with this on one of these bikes.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it!

sparkless Cam

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Cam - don't know the answer to your specific question but....... having checked many coils for cars with an ohm meter, a simple resistance check with your basic ohm meter is not sufficient in my opinion. I've checked many a coil that seemed bad that still worked and vice versa (according to specs). The only real way to check one is with a megger - much easier (for those of us who don't have TM's :) ) to swap it out and find out for sure.

yzbluebeast

Jul 16, 2003
When you say you've done "all the usaul things" what exactly do you mean??
Checked all connections?
Stator output test?
Pulser output test?
Stator IB?
Tell me what you have done.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
What I've done so far is put in a new plug, put a test light on the wire, and disconnected the kill switch. I'm a doofus when it comes to electrical so I've got a motorcycle mechanic friend helping me out, he doesn't think he can do any more until he finds out the specs for the coil resistance. I'm just taking his word for it.. Thanks for the help guys!

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Got that Eddie, thanks! Unfortunately it's just exploded parts diagrams, and the ignition shown is a Kokusan from a '03, they switched from using the Ducati ign. in 02..

I've emailed Italy, we'll see what happens.

Top Bottom