Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Do you guys like your aluminum frames?

No speculation needed, if you have an aluminum frame and how you feel about it. Also if you have a steel frame and how you feel about it.

Even better, if you have both, and can express the differences, and which you prefer.

To get started, I will state that all my frames have been and still are steel, and I like them just fine, but have not yet had an aluminum framed anything.

Just wunderin'

Jon K.

funktree

~SPONSOR~
Jul 21, 2001
have only had steel here, I do have to say that the honda frames just look damn cool whether they make much of difference or not.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
'cause Alu frames at present are mostly on MX bikes.

I've only had steel, but I don't have much of a preference. Durability and maint. are big issues with me. Weight ? buy a 2 stroke and forget about it! :nener:

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
I am not sure what the benifit is from having a aluminum frame, like my old steel frames fine. of course have not went and rode a steel frame machine in a while. they have to sell machines and maybe aluminum is more purty?
Only can change stickers so often.

wardy

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I prefer steel framed bikes.

Much easier to work on. At least compared to the twin spar frames.

Last edited:

Troyboykx125

Sep 11, 2005
I was under the impression that aluminum is a lighter but also stronger metal than steel......aren't most stock handle bars made out of steel? They bend if you breath on them wrong. Also if you notice any device that carries heavy loads but needs to be light weight is almost always aluminum.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
My 01 YZ 250 had steel, and my 05 YZ250 has aluminum, I can't tell the difference while riding. However I just putt on trails, don't race. The aluminum sure looks better and cleans up easier, not to mention doesn't rust from boot rub.

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
Troyboykx125 said:
I was under the impression that aluminum is a lighter but also stronger metal than steel......aren't most stock handle bars made out of steel? They bend if you breath on them wrong. Also if you notice any device that carries heavy loads but needs to be light weight is almost always aluminum.

Typically Aluminum is stronger for the the given wt, so they can make it lighter or distribute the wt better. Steel will bend easier, Aluminum usually fails soon after it bends (yield point). Aluminum is stiffer, steel flexes.

funkypunk97

Aug 30, 2006
steel versus aluminum: 101

Pound for pound aluminum is much stronger than steel to a point.

However aluminum has to be bigger and thicker to equal the same tencile strength of steel so weight savings is almost a wash. This is why the aluminum frames are thicker and generally of box welded design, compared to the tubed, extruded steel frames.

Aluminum is also more rigid than steel and provides less flex. Steel will flex and eventually bend when stressed. Aluminum usually has a very limited bendability and usually just breaks or snaps when stressed. An example: steel handlebars bend but usually don't snap, while aluminum bars snap and usually don't bend much.

The rigid quality of aluminum in a frame allows for a more precise suspension set up, but at the same time requires a near perfect one to be ridden to its potential. The stiffness provides more feed-back to the rider. Steel is much more forgiving and allows a little more room for error in the suspension set up and absorbes vibration better because it is softer by nature.

For an amateur racer aluminum offers little to no advantage on the track, but at the top of the food chain a guy lik RC could maybe exploit the small benefit of aluminum with a perfect factory set-up.

When all breaks down the benefit of aluminum is small and no magic pill. RC on a steel frame is still faster than anyone on an aluminum frame. But these factories will spend millions to shave one or two pounds. And with the heavier 4-strokes now the standard so to are the lighter aluminum frames.

Maybe the best thing for the amateur and recreational rider is that the frames will never rust. You can keep your bike for 10 years and never worry about the frame getting corroded and getting weak with rust.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
My thoughts go back to the '97 Honda. It was the first effort by the Japs to build an aluminum frame.

Reports were that it was harsh and unforgiving. There were also reports of frame breakage, though maybe that was just rumor.

Supposedly the "harsh and unforgiving" problems have been addressed by engineering a degree of flex into the frame, but I want to hear from real people.

I appreciate all the replies.

I have in my mind that perhaps there are people out there that prefer a steel frame, but are getting pushed to aluminum as their choices dwindle.

The progression of that thought has me pondering if there might be an "aftermarket" for 4130 steel frames to replace the stock aluminum frames. Sort of like the Cheney frames of yesteryear. But if everyone loves their aluminum frames, then of course that would be a dead issue.

There could be a bit of custom design in an aftermarket frame, with some fine tuning of stretch, rake, footpeg placement, etc.

Anyone have any thoughts?

funkypunk97

Aug 30, 2006
well I don't hear people complaining about the aluminum frames, none of the recreational riders, non of the top racers.

Obvisously there is not a huge movement to keep the steel frames alive so it must not be bothering anyone to much of a degree. So your qestions is an answer in and of itself.

larosche

Apr 20, 2000
The Honda Aluminum frame blocks access to the carb. I wanted to play with the carb more on my CRF250X, but I didn't want the pain of getting to the carb. I also had issues servicing the bike with the big aluminum frame providing little room to access the head. The head vent tube was hard to push back onto the head since the frame was "right there".
Handling seemed about the same when compared to my 2006 KTM 200XC-W. They both have very nice forks which are tuned to the bikes.
If it raised the price of the bike, I would opt for the less expensive steel.
RAD DAD

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Rad Dad; did the KTM's steel frame influence you at all in your decision to go in that direction?

Anssi

May 20, 2001
I've only ridden Honda aluminium framed bikes (I have obviously ridden a lot of other bikes but they have all had steel frames) and I have liked the from the beginning (a -98 CR250R). However, that is probably as much due to the suspension as the frame.

Al2707

Jun 22, 2006
alu frames are lighter and they dont rust so i think they are better that steel ones, other than that i dont think it makes any difference what so ever, we might as well be talking bout the foam in the seat. lol

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
there would be virtually NO market for an aftermarket steel frame:

1. People want what the pros ride, whether there is an advantage or not
2. People want what it the latest and greatest/newest design
3. People want what looks cool
4. People want less maintanance

john3_16

May 17, 2004
The thing I notice most between steel and aluminum frames when comparing early 90's CR's with my 03'CR250 is when landing from big jumps...The new aluminum frames are much more harsh if you happen to miss the downside of a large jump..When the suspension bottoms on a big jump you get more of the impact transmitted to the rider...
You can really feel the difference on big jumps and in corners...

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Al2707 said:
alu frames are lighter and they dont rust so i think they are better that steel ones, other than that i dont think it makes any difference what so ever, we might as well be talking bout the foam in the seat. lol

Anyone have any numbers on the actual weight difference?

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
XRpredator said:
Eleven.

a brazilian

3.1416 has always been a favorite of mine . . . . . . .

Really, I would expect the weight savings to be negligible.

funkypunk97

Aug 30, 2006
I can't recall for certain, but I believe the aluminum frames are 2 or 3 pounds lighter. But the 4-stroke engine is 4 pounds heavier than the 2-strokes were so it's pretty much a wash in that respect.

larosche

Apr 20, 2000
It did have some part of my decision. Keeping the bike running is a big thing for me and the Honda wasn't ready for prime time racing. I think the Yamaha AL frame looks like a better design.

Rad Dad; did the KTM's steel frame influence you at all in your decision to go in that direction?

Top Bottom