Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
Sorry, no experience...just a little speculation.

i've kept an eye on the aluminum framed bikes and weight differences somewhat. I've been pretty surprised to see that the weight savings is pretty negligable. Seems like 2-3lbs difference between another brand's steel framed bike. Immediately I chalked it up to the much thicker aluminum design. (if it's half the weight, but TWICE the frame...you know)

To me, the only reason i would opt for an aluminum frame is because they age better. I keep my bikes until they are 7 or 8 years old and by that time a steel frame usually looks like poo. Meanwhile an aluminum frame still looks pretty good IMO.

I think it is interesting the aluminum "snap" vs. steel "bend" though. And when applying it to handlebars...seems very true. Therefore, just thinking of other things like footpegs that will sag on a steel frame, I guess they could "snap" before they sag on an aluminum frame. It also makes sense that the extra rigidity would make for more of a "shock" to transfer through the frame.

Looks like there are pluses and minuses to each side, but for all out competition, the rider is still more important than frame material.

Micah

Top Bottom