Steering Damper for Outdoor MX?

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
One of my DRN buds (name rhymes with Homer) insists that I must get a steering damper for outdoor MX. The benefits seem obvious, but realizing that there is no such thing as a free lunch, what are the drawbacks for MX? Why don't all of the national pros and freestylers use them?

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
I use one and can't think of a drawback. With the Scotts unit, you can set it up to absorb sharp hits but keep it light in the corners. The GPR does not differentiate between high and low speed damping. Depending on how it is set up, it can help with very muddy conditions also.

I have a bad shoulder, couple torn rotator cuff tendons. My shoulders and arms take less load. I want to avoid an sharp hits 'cuz I'm at the edge of needing surgery. My 46 yr old body needs all the help it can get!

What else do you need to know?

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
Also, many freestylers do use them. I think they are W.E.R. units mounted on the front fender.

I also saw a photo of Carmichael's CRF450 that had a simple damper on it, and I believe Windham used one for Supercross.

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
Sounds good. What about in the air? Does it ever feel like its limiting your ability to make quick corrections with the front wheel?

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
That could happen. I'm not much of a whipper these days. Usually the postion I take off I land in. I need to go to work on Monday.

If you are aggressive with jumps, it may not be good for you. I really only notice it during very hard hits though.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom