Randy M.

Oct 16, 2002
Just found this site so don't kill me. This has probably been discused before. I have a 98 kdx 220. I'm looking at getting a steering damper setup. What do some of you use? Does Scotts make a triple clamp set up for the kdx? We ride some pretty insane terrain her in Tenn. I think a damper will help.
Thanks, Randy

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
If you don't want to clutter up your "cockpit" or have a unit mounted on your handlebars you can also go with the WER. I have one and it's great. Easily transferable from one bike to your nest bike too. (I did that too!)

http://www.werproducts.net/wer_welcome_page.htm

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Originally posted by Randy M.
I think a damper will help.
Randy,
Welcome! It will help. I just mounted a GPR unit on my KX, what a difference. :thumb: As Fred mentioned there are some trade-offs between the three units. So take a look at all the units prior to deciding.

Here's a link to a previous discussion that may help: click here.

One thing I found out :o is that if you're changing your T-clamps, the bar mounts are 100mm wide on most units (I went with Applied) and stock is 90mm. So you need that info prior to ordering if you go with the Scott's or GPR.

I also found the GPR with bar mounts for $319: click here.

You can find additional info by using the search function at the top of the page. Good luck.

Scott

Randy M.

Oct 16, 2002
Thanks for the info guys. I'm looking to cure another problem at the same time. I hate the two hole rubber bar mount. If I go with Scotts, I can get the tripple clamp kit and cure it all. I was looking at GPR to see if they had one as well.
Thanks again,Randy

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Scotts advises caution when using their unit with the oem kdx isolated type bars. As you likely know, those bushings tweak on a regular basis, and that can put the scotts in trouble alignment-wise.

If the reason you don't like the bushings is the tweak factor, a one piece top clamp pretty much eliminates it. Use one AND keep the vibration control of the compliant cones.

Certainly look at all the options. Some types suit some, some others.

Seemed to me the distance between the inflection and the damping was important. The further apart they are, the more flex there will be...even if you're going though nothing but steel.

That was one of the things that made the WER my choice. With the scotts you go though a fork joint (spaced apart with sliders, bushings, seals and the like), steering stem and handlebar attaching hardware.

That's a lot of 'stuff'! Each having a bit of movement, slop, give, whatever you want to call it. The WER damps through none of that.

Randy M.

Oct 16, 2002
Thanks for all the comments. I ordered the entire Scotts setup. Triple clamp and all. I had it overnighted, I started putting it on last night. This thing is a work of art. All that is left is to put my controls on and mount the pin to the frame.
Randy

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Did you go for the bolt-on tower or weld-on? If bolt-on, ensure you check the bolts regularly. I lost one of mine & have to remember to check the bolts regularly as I don't want to lose it (I'd be hung & quartered). The one thing that has been noted when it gets loose (someone else was riding my bike last time it came loose), is that it sounds like marbles rattling when something's amiss. (our friend took the damper off when it came loose on him, I just rode with it and made sure I kept an eye on it - yip, I'm that slow lol).
I agree on the work of art thing, it looks good even if it did nothing - but it's saved my butt numerous times.
Michelle

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'all that's left is....and mount the pin to the frame'?

I've only put on one....but the 'pin' had to be on before the damper was mounted. Bolt on pin. ktm exc.

How do the bars (renthal bent-crossbar ?) mount to the triple clamp? Do they use a high durometer bushing? Metal? A bolt through a hole?

lpracing77

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2002
I ordered the W.E.R. from Fredette Racing on monday. If it gets here in time I plan on trying it out at the Delaware National Enduro this weekend. I will let you know how it works.

Top Bottom