First ride w/ Honda steering damper

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Took the KDX200 out last evening for its first ride with the new HPSD installed. Bike is noticeably less twitchy on the sand roads....just like the Scotts on the KLX450. Once I got onto the snowy, muddy, slippery trails, I couldn't detect much difference.
Now, the Honda owners manual for the CRF450R says to ride that bike for one hour to break in the steering damper before making any adjustments to it. I was able to ride for just one hour before the sun went down yesterday, so now I can start playing with the damper's adjustment knob on the next ride.

So far it's done to the KDX exactly what the Scotts did to the KLX. I'll let you know my final thoughts as soon as I get some trial-and-error adjusting and riding done with it. All I can say at this point is I'm not disappointed, but not overly impressed either. (I'm not overly impressed with the Scotts, either)

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Thats interesting I am interested in the high speed hits and what you think. I know its been said that from center there may be a 5* "slack"

Maybe if you have a section thats really bumpy you can try with and with out ???

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
There is no slack in the damper; its influence begins at virtualy zero in the straight ahead fork position and quickly becomes greater as you turn, left or right, from straight-ahead.
EDIT: Let me re-phrase this, as it seems to have caused some confusion: It has virtually zero influence in the straight ahead fork position and quickly becomes greater as you turn.
I have three sections of 60yds each of two-foot whoops, as well as miles of tree roots, banks, holes, etc....in other words, lots of bumps. I'll see what difference the adjusments make next time out.
Right now its snowing again, so it may be a few days.... :|

Last edited:

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
There isn't any slack, but because of the geometry of the damper/mounting it does very little in the "straight ahead" position.

If you were to turn the handlebars from lock-to-lock at a constant speed and plot the damper piston velocity it would be an upside down bell curve (or a U). At the straight ahead position the piston velocity would be zero (as it's changing directions). Being that the deisgn is a simple linear damper, the amount of damping it provides is dependant on piston speed.

In other words, like Honda and everyone else says, it does very little 5 degrees either side of straight ahead, and really only performs as you corner more. WER, Scotts, RTT, GPR, etc, are all made the way they are so that they can provide strong damping regardless of how you have the bars turned, because their function is not dependant on a changing geometry of the mounting point locations.

This doesn't make the Honda damper a bad unit, but I would argue that for stability in stright line rocks/roots/washes/etc a traditional style steering damper can be setup to vastly outperform it.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I wouldn't waste too much breath on the 5 degree argument. mudpack is hell bent not to accept the fact that this unit does indeed have a null zone.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I'm just going to sit back with my mouth shut and here what hes got to say.

Mud I cant afford 450 bucks for a damper but maybe if you really like your setup you can sell me your scotts and set your klx up with the honda one.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
adam728 said:
At the straight ahead position the piston velocity would be zero (as it's changing directions).

Exactly. In no post have I said that the damper has anything but virtually zero damping in the straight ahead position.
And, it's damping IS velocity-dependant, no doubt of that either. This can either be a good thing, or a bad thing, depending on what you want from a damper.
It's a different type of system than the Scotts, WER, etc. Not better or worse, just different. The unit does have some definite advantages, and at least one disadvantage, over the conventional types, but its for you to decide how the pros and cons balance out.

For me, the disadvantage was minor, and the advantages were major. But that's just me. :nod:

Mud

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
so mud do that mean if i where heahind down a smooth section and came upon some harsh crap that tried to kick my front end to the right it would stop it with in reason ....(not to make me have to correct and to keep my weak ass arms from feeling it)?

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
All a steering damper does is make it harder for the forks to turn. This can be of significant benefit in some situations, but you still have to ride the bike. You can still get knocked off-line.

I get just as arm-tired riding the trails with the HPSD and with the Scotts as without any damper at all. The bike just feels a little more planted in certain areas.

I believe the primary benefit of a damper is stopping head-shake...and I don't get much of that normally. If I knew then what I know now about dampers (either style), I would not have spent the money. The cost/benefit ratio is just not there for me. Now, if I was a Supercross rider, coming down on the backside of a tabletop, front wheel first, from 40 feet in the air, I think a damper would be a necessary piece of equipment. But I'm not.
They do make a cool project, though............

Mud

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Have not had a chance to take the KDX out for a second ride yet...the last two times out I rode the KLX and the CRF150R. ( I try to spread the joy around as best I can. )

I hope to get the KDX out as soon as the trails dry up a little (we've had big rain here the last few days), possibly near the end of the week? I have tightened up the HPSD two clicks in preparation for that.

Mud

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Took it out today after work for a 25 mile trail ride. I'm not that impressed with steering dampers, this one included. Next ride I plan to go to full damping and see what that does.
So far, I see no magic.

Mud

Top Bottom