Steering Dampner

Danny Stein

Nov 12, 2002
Does anyone out-there know what is the best appliation on a 2002 KDX 200 for a steering dampner? I'm leaning toward a scotts complete system. If you could give me any insight on this topic I would greatly appreciate it.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Danny,
Welcome to DRN. :thumb:

I see this is your first post, so you may not be aware of the search function. I just did a quick search using the search function at the top of the page and there are multiple pages of information on this topic. It's best to search first and then ask a specific question for your bike. Click here.

BTW: I like my GPR. Here's a link.

Good luck,
Scott

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You likely know this already (having done a search as bscottr recommended).....

Scott's is the most expensive method. Even requires new bars in most cases. Their 'complete' setup (with clamp) still retains the isolation bushings, which are noted as problems for the scotts damper.

The WER mounts lower. The less metal the deflection movement travels through (length of fork, clamp, handlebars etc) the better the damping action (imo). But the WER does NOT have multiple circuits (fast/slow) as the scotts has.

So, it's not a matter of 'best'. More a matter of your choice. Do some research. Make an informed decision that suits 'ya! Hopefully after it's on your bike, it'll STILL suit 'ya!

Generally, although some more some less, the consensus is that WHATever you choose, once you ride WITH one, you won't ever want to ride withOUT one.

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Jackpiner57 I suggest going with the Scotts, and the welded one is best.
Did you try the bolt on one? Or did you have a bad experience with it and went with weld on? I would appreciate any input you have, to help with my decision. I have an '01 220, and was thinking about getting a Scotts bolt on. Thanks.

acutemp

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 4, 1999
Scott's is now making a low mount kit for their damper's. I don't belive that they have one yet for the KDX but it looks like a sweet setup. You wouldn't be able to adjust on the fly but it does get it out of the way.--Dan

Attachments

• scotts.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 230

lpracing77

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2002
I use what Mr. KDX uses - the W.E.R. damper. It is a low front mount and if it’s good enough for Jeff then its good enough . . . . .
I have a few friends with the Scott’s and they are having problems with the mounting brackets having some flex. The length of the mounting bracket from it origin to the damper arm causes a lot of torque and the bracket will flex. This flex occurs exactly when you don’t want it, in the initial left - right movement from straight-ahead. I feel that the low mounts have a great advantage and eliminate that flex. Just my thoughts on it.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
DAN!!! Howdy!

That's a great pic!!!

AND what I've griped at all along. TOO much fork/clamp/bushing/handlebar between the point of deflection and the damper on a scotts.

SO glad they finally LISTENED to me!! ....yeah....right.

Anyway...crappers! Granted they may not make one yet for the kdx..but they will, likely. In that case, I'd have gone for a scotts for sure!!

re: bad experience with bolt on?

Simply put, yes. A search will get that info.

A LOWER bolt on won't have any of the problems that the TOP bolt on may have. The lower is NOT round and is bolted THROUGH the frame. The top IS round..and thus tends to slippage.

lpracing is exactly right about the flex.

The fast/slow circuits of the scotts are nice, though!

The scotts in that placement sure looks like a glass chin.

If I can (and I do..just not when flying FAST) adjust my WER on-the-fly, I'm sure I could find the knob for the scotts!

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
lpracing77 , Thanks for the info. I might look more into a WER. Not sure which one yet.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Danny,

Almost any damper out there is light years better than no damper at all.
I've had good luck with the WER and a lot of the NE enduro riders use it, but I doubt you could go wrong with the scotts either.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…