stinx

Jul 25, 2000
I recently decided to repack the grease in my steering head bearing on my 02 kdx 200. When i put it back together,Inow hve slight lpay side to side. No matter what i do i cant get rid of this play. does any one know what i could have done wrong??

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Not sure what you mean by 'side to side'. And what did you try to 'get rid of it'? The only place 'play' is going to come from is an improperly seated bearing set.

One thing sure...do not think you're doing yourself a favor by tightening the spanner nut to much of anything over finger tight!! That will eat the bearings in pretty short order.

Basically (for any tapered roller), with slight upward pressure on the stem, rotate from side to side while snugging the spanner on top of the stem. Once 'set' (wrench pressure of only a few inches), continue to exert slight upward pressure on the stem, loosen the spanner nut and retighten to a firm finger pressure.

You aren't going to be able to properly seat the bearings with the wheel attached. You had the wheel/forks off at the time? It's not IMPERATIVE to do so, but the chances of messing up the install is MUCH greater if you don't.

BTW..do you feel any 'snicking' of the lower bearing when you move the stem from side to side (hard to feel with the forks/wheel on)? Or did you see ANY marks on the outer race of the bottom bearing? If you did, the bearing needs to be replaced.

Top Bottom