step by step instuctions for top end rebuild and kips

njg0621

Jan 30, 2004
Hey everyone , I own a 2001 kdx220 and I am putting a weisco piston and rings, and i figure I should clean the kips out from what I have read. I bought the service manual and it isnt very detailed or clear on how to do these things. My biggest problem is that I am new to trying to do this myself. Normally I have someone else do it, but i figure it's time to learn and stop spending money. I have done searches through the forum and found out a ton of useful knowledge but I havent found any thread or webpage that goes through the process step by step. Can anyone help me? to be honest with you I am scared that doing this for the first time I will do more harm than good. If I had a good set of directions that took me through the process I would feel much more comfortable. Thank you!

Mar 18, 2004
The same goes for a RM 250 - if anyone could post a "step by step instructions for idiots" type of instructions, that would be great. I too plan on redoing my topend but haven't done this before and the first time is scary. Knowledgeable instructions is a must, along with comments and suggestions, etc. Preferably with pics included.

sillygoose27

Oct 13, 2002
Yeah, I wanna do my top end (87KDX) but am a little worried about not being able to do it right. I also don't exactly know everything I need to do it right.

j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
Eric Gorr goes through the process on his website under tech or something like that.

When searching for a manual, search for the make and model, NOT the year. Many times the titles will be something like Suzuki RM 125-500 1982-1988, so a search for "Suzuki RM250" would yield no results. Try Amazon.com

myrm

Sep 3, 2003
best bet would be a manual but short of that (and i dont know much about this site)
try (motocross. com) some pretty good info on there including doing your top-end

souphmars

Mar 8, 2004
i just did my topend on my 98 yz250-it was my first time-i did it by myself, with the clymer manual-i had to have an extra hand to put the piston clips in-did u look for a manual on ebay-i think clymer might have a site

Mar 18, 2004
Yeah, that link to Machineracing is a good start. Unfortunately http://www.EricGorr.com/ doesn't work for me on a Mac. Their web site doesn't display properly and the links are all broken. Not sure if it works on a PC, plan to check soon.
Haven't had much luck with a Clymer manual for a RM250, many places want too much to ship to Canada and Amazon says it will be 4 weeks before they can even tell you if they have the book (this after you pay for it!)
Btw my local bike shop has them for $45.00 - ouch.

Till I come across a Clymer manual, I'll have to rely on the stuff on the web.

roadrash1

Sep 14, 2003
Manual is a good idea, but let me throw this out there also.
Can you find anybody who you have ridden with, or a friend of a friend that has some experience, who will go through a top-end rebuild with you?
The last bike I sold, (CR125) I told the guy that when he was ready to do the top-end to bring it to my garage and I would do it with him, so he might be able to do the next one himself.
It is very important to be brutally honest here about assessing your mechanical abilities. There are some people who should be prohibitted by law from owning tools.....LOL!
If you don't fall into that category, find someone to help you though this and good luck!

Top Bottom