SRHookEm

Dec 22, 2003
Hey,

I have a few questions:

1) My 5 year old (will be 6 in July) has just started riding in December. Santa brought a JR50. By Christmas afternoon, he had the training wheels off. By January 1st, he was racing in the PW class of the STC series. I'm thinking about moving him up but cannot afford to buy a new bike now only to have him outgrow it in 3 months again. I also understand that the riders in the bigger classes will be more experienced but he just wants to race. Which bike will keep him going the longest without having to step into races with 7-9 year olds---but can be a bike he can use when he is 7-8? I think, by 8, he'll go to a 65 anyway.

2) I found a 2004 R2 with 2 hours (or less, the child was afraid of it) for $2200. A good price? A good choice?

3) The JR 50 is oil injected. Mixing freaks me out but I guess I better get used to it! What's the best oil and mix?

Any other advice appreciated!

Steve

Skitspuce

May 21, 2003
Just bought my almost-6-year-old a KX65. I was in the same boat as you, he rode his JR50 for a summer and had outgrown and gotten bored with it. I was going to get an auto clutch 50 for him, but I knew in another year I'd be getting another bike. Got a used KX in good shape for $1300, and the first day he rode it he was doing well. I rode on the back at first and let him feel how the clutch worked, and within 30 minutes he was doing fine. I had him leave it in 2nd, and before his maden ride I rode it and showed him how fast it was if he wasn't careful. He picked it up really quickly and was super proud of himself. He won't be able to race this year, will have to wait till next season, but this summer he'll get plenty of riding time in to get good on the new bike. It may not be the way to go for you, but I know this bike will be good for him for the next 4-5 years, and should stay competitive.

SRHookEm

Dec 22, 2003
OK, I just went to look at the LEM. It's not an 04 R2--it's a 2002 LX-2 Racer which he said "was the same as the new R2's." Of course, they're different! But this bike is like new. Anyone think $2200 is still a good price?

rybo3

Jun 13, 2002
i don't know about the price aspect of your question, but i have seen the lem's 1st hand. they did not impress me much. friend of mine bought one,(L-3, i believe) and immediatley had a problem with the tranny. also seems to have a week front fender, and didn,t have much hop-up potential. (talking about the L-3, remember.

anyways, thats all i know about the lem. i would thinka used ktm, cobra, polini, would be a better investment if you are going to race.

SRHookEm

Dec 22, 2003
Thanks for the reply. After wading through the info and talking with several dealers, we purchased a new KTM 50 Pro JR instead of getting the LEM. Two different people told me that they are having trouble getting parts for the LEM. The support for the KTM's here is fantastic. I think the LEM is a great little bike. But I had to look at what's racing and winning here. The top 10 4-6 beginners ride KTM and the 12-18 ride KTM. The others are Cobra and some others but no LEM at all.

The hop potential is amazing for the KTM. In fact, before it even goes out the door we're putting on a new chain and Renthal bars. Other mods to come as needed--and as he gets used to the new-found power!

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
SR hook em. there is a ton of stuff you can do for the KTM, and NEED to do to make them reliable. gimme a call when your looking to do this stuff.

I'm surprised your Cobra's aren't doing good out there. They dominated the Texas Nationals especially the 4-6 class and Texas Cobra has some fast, fast kids riding out there. In fact they converted 6 KTM riders since the 04's have come out. the pro jr is a good bike though. YOu just need to do some things to keep it from falling apart, welded clutch basket is a MUST!!!!! frame supports will be needed as soon as you kid starts jumping. Once he does you'll start sheering the woodruff key... Anyways good luck and remember to keep it FUN.

Top Bottom