HONDA65

~SPONSOR~
Mar 4, 2000
I know this subject was covered a couple of months ago, but it needs to be revived. Has anyone had a sticky or STUCK throttle on their '02 (or even '01) YZ250? Mine keeps sticking, and thankfully I haven't got hurt yet. YET!! I know at least one person on here did before. I'd like to hear an update from him and any others please.

Saturday, when mine did it AGAIN, this time it was literally wedged in the carb body. I had to yank it free. And yet I can see no obstructions, burs, high marks NOTHING. But yet it was stuck solid.

So any feedback I can get to take to my dealer (hopefully no further) would be appreciated

Thanks

HONDA65

~SPONSOR~
Mar 4, 2000
Thanks for the link. However, the bike is 2 months old, so normal wear and tear don't apply. There has been no visible signs of dirt or sand, nor are there any scores marks in the slide. But I'll look again. Personally, I think its a clearance problem. Since I posted this yesterday, I've talked to 2 other people with this problem, 1 with an '02 YZ, who could not find the problem either, so he sold the bike. The other was a '02 KX250, which runs the same carb. He put on a standard Kehien PWK, non Powerjet/TPS. No problems since.

Anyway, I'd still like to hear any more instances.

Thanks

p.s. I'm not looking to sue, I just want it fixed, and fixed right. I'm to old to be crashing my brains out.

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
This has happened to my buddies bike, and someone ended up severly injured, and it wasn't a maintenence issue. It has something to do with the wheel in the throttle assembley if I remember correctly. He replaced his throttle assembley with one off of a honda and the problem was solved. I also think he put a Suzuki throttle cable on his bike. If you want I can ask him later on tonight to make sure.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Was your bike involved in the recall? My 19997 YZ 250 was. It needed a new piece for the throttle. Mine never stuck, but I guess it cold have. Any Yamaha dealer would know what to change.

HONDA65

~SPONSOR~
Mar 4, 2000
No it wasn't involved in the recall. That was for 96-01 YZ's. And again, it wasn't the throttle housing or the cable

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
i would call a reliable dealer and ask them if there is a problem or an non pulic recall. You would not beleive the amount of "service bullitens" are published aka recalls. At least in the car buisness. Also see if they will look at it or fix it do to the know problems.

HONDA65

~SPONSOR~
Mar 4, 2000
I did, and nothing so far. Thats why I'm trying to find others with this problem so I can try to show that there IS a problem.

HONDA65

~SPONSOR~
Mar 4, 2000
The carb is a Kehien PWK38 with a powerjet and TPS. They are used on YZ250's, KX250's and RM250's. I wonder if this is what happened to Jeff Emig when his throttle stuck, and ended his career.

Anyway, if any has had this happen to them or know;s someone who has, please post here.

Thanks.

rryder1992

Aug 1, 2002
Try looking at the parts with a magnifing glass at the lower edges and inside the bore.
Problem happened to me before. Inspected the carb several times before I actually seen the burrs.I used fine emery cloth to remove the burrs and never had the problem again.This was on an older YZ 250. It took me awhile before I could get on it again. The stuck throttle almost killed me.

Top Bottom