mattb650

Feb 6, 2006
I have an '78 KL250 with clutch problems. When you put it in gear and with the clutch lever pulled back, the clutch plates are still together. In other words, if the bike is running and you put it in gear, you are going to move whether the clutch is engaged or not. It was working before I unhooked the clutch cable attachment on the bottom of the engine to do some work in that area. I hooked everything back up according to the book, but in order to do this, I have to let out all of my play on the cable and it still does not disengage the clutch. I checked the clutch plates when the clutch is engaged and they are free. Any help/ideas would be appreciated in regards to my problem.

Thanks

Joshtee

Apr 10, 2004
Try all the adjustments. If that doesn't work, check the clutch basket for grooving. You might need a new clutch basket, or you can try to file the grooves.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Joshtee said:
Try all the adjustments. If that doesn't work, check the clutch basket for grooving. You might need a new clutch basket, or you can try to file the grooves.

Ditto this. The clutch can only stick because of misadjustments, a grooved basket, broken/worn out parts, or because it sat too long and the plates are stuck together because of reactions between their materials.

Top Bottom