stock air filter

MDA

May 27, 2002
Hi gang,

I was wondering if someone could give me a hint on how to squeeze out the excess oil out of my air filter after I've oiled it. I'm using a good quality air filter treatment, but with the stock filter I can't seem to get enough of the oil out due to the plastic basket. After I re-install my filter, I get quite a bit of oil dripping out of the air box. Is there any chance that I might damage something due to the excess oil? The bike ran fine, but I want to make sure I do it correctly in the future.

Anyone have any tricks that might help me?

Thanks
-Mark-

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Get yourself an old wooden cutting board and a wooden rolling pin.
You can use the rolling pin to squeeze out a bunch of excess oil without risking damage to the air filter by wringing it out.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by MDA
I'm using a good quality air filter treatment, but with the stock filter I can't seem to get enough of the oil out due to the plastic basket.

Side note: Remove the basket before trying this ;)

MDA

May 27, 2002
LOL,

It did not look like the plastic basket was meant to come out on the stock filter. Am I wrong here? My dealership is back ordered on aftermarket air filters for my KDX (Uni filter), so I don't want to risk damaging my stock filter before I can get my hands on a new one.

On a side note: Has anyone tried a Uni filter for their KDX. Opinions?

Thanks guys,
-Mark-

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
I does and is mean't to be removed for cleaning purposes.

Phillip

MDA

May 27, 2002
Thanks for the info. I'll take a closer look at it tonight...

-Mark-

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
All above is true and good. I like twinair filters. The base of twinair and some other aftermarket filters is very wide so you are unlikely to have an unfiltered air leak like on the stock filter. Oil from the air filter will run out the air box drain so does not hurt anything, just makes a mess.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I'm curious - how the heck did you clean your air filter without taking the basket out? I'd imagine it was a right pita.
I use the no-toil oil due to the fact I can just shove the filters into the machine & get them clean.
Another thing to do, is get some disposable gloves so you don't get the oil all over your hands. Also putting the filter in a plastic bag is good (can you tell I don't like air filter oil lol).
Michelle

goldman15

Jun 9, 2001
Michelle
Call Jeff Fredette and order a No-Toil Air Filter and Filter Maintenance Kit for your KDX. The filter maintenance kit comes with cleaner, rim grease and filter oil. There simply is no better way to clean and oil your filter than No-Toil. The stuff is 100% biodegradeable and will keep dirt out of your engine. Clean up is super easy. The filter is a high quality dual stage filter as good as if not better than a Twin Air.

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I've been running a UNI filter for over a year now, without any problems.
Works great, the dual filter is easier to clean.
Another side note; Any filter will leak if you don't put any rim grease on it.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Like Michelle and goldman15 stated, the no-toil is the way to go. I use their filters as well. I do have a side note for you - you do not need to buy the filter cleaner. Plain ole laundry detergent works great. Rinse the filter with fresh water after cleaning and squeeze it out (do not wring)
Lew

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Notoil is great stuff. If it's easy to clean, chances are it will happen more often. Don't know you can ever clean your air filter TOO often.

re: notoil soap. I've tried regular detergent. I've bought several different brands. Haven't found anything that works as well as the notoil stuff. You might try this: Clean with regular 'detergent', then see what you get out of the filter if you use the notoil stuff AFTER. Don't know that you'll see more dirt...I think you might.

Another 'to each his own' thing. What brand of detergent do you use?

BTW...note how warm your hands get when you sprinkle notoil on 'em? Something in it is different.

Note on the basket. Make sure you push the brass piece THROUGH the hole in the filter when you put the plastic basket back in. DON'T thread the screw in against the filter foam.

Kinda self evident...but then....;)

Oh...I've never oiled my filter 'til I can 'squeeze out the excess'. WAY too much oil. I spray on the oil (notoil does make an aerosol) evenly, knead it around to work it in. Done. If you're using enough to have it drip out your airbox, you're using way too much.

BTW..never a speck of ANYthing in my carb throat or intake plenum either.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
canyncarvr;
I use Arm & Hammer laundry detergent, and it is biodegradable (since we are on a septic system). My filter comes out as clean as with notoil. The first time I tried I did mine with the laundry soap and my sons with notoil. Both were the same. I do use a bit more laundry soap as opposed to the notoil, but heck the wife has a whole box or 2 of it in the laundry room. I also think that the hotter the water the better cleaning results you get.
Lew

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I'll try some arm& then. The notoil stuff isn't exactly cheap.

Thanks!

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
Originally posted by RJ-KDX

Another side note; Any filter will leak if you don't put any rim grease on it.

I've never used grease on the seal, it's the hardest bit to clean off! I find that an extra coat of filter oil on the lip prior to installation is ample protection. Water, mud, dust, you name it, I've been in it and I've never had anything but clean air thru my carby.

I use Motul filter oil, sticky stuff but works great. To clean, a quick dip in mineral turpentine to disolve the oil, sqeeze dry and then straight into hot soapy water. I like to use Selley's Sugar Soap - works well and it's cheap as chips.

well, I'm sure there's gunna be a flurry of responses regarding to grease or not to grease, so ...

Bring it on :p

goldman15

Jun 9, 2001
Andrew,
Just use No-Toil and all your filter cleaning troubles will be over. You can use their rim grease and not need to worry about how difficult it is to get off. No-Toil rim grease comes off as easy as the filter oil itself. Make the switch, you will be happy you did.

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Andrew, the grease statement was for someone's else comment about aftermarket filters in this thread. Whether or not you grease the seal is up to you. My point is that most aftermarket double filters are about the same (IMO). As far as cleaning, I use PJ1 spray cleaner, and I have never had a problem with removing grease or filter oil.

:moon: :moon: :moon:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…