stock forks revalve vs kx125 forks

Joemoto

Aug 30, 2001
Anyone had a chance to compare revalved stock forks to kx125 forks I have xr400 springs in my bike and was thinking about a revale or kx125 conversion on my bike also is there any big advantage to using a kx125 frame I know a guy who has a 98 kx125 that is trashed that I could buy at a cheap price I was going to have mx-tech do the revalve on my stock forks if I go that route thanks for any input.

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
you just can't "swap" the frame out.....but some people take whole kx rolling chassis and drop 200cc engines in then.But that's another story/ If you do the kx fork swap you'll probebly need to revalve them for woods riding anyway.If the kx forks come off of that "trashed" bike you talked about they may need more work than that......If I had access to a good kx front end....I'd consider the swap.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
I have never tried the KX forks - BUT I have racetech gold valves and heavy springs in my KDX.

My buddy with a stock YZ250 just drove my KDX and commented about how amazingly good my suspension in the woods is. He went on and on about how much better it was than his stock YZ.

His stock YZ stuff should be about the same as stock KX stuff no?

Got my valves and springs from freddete ready to bolt into my forks.

Phil

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I have KX125 front forks on my KDX and like trailryder points out, they are not set up best for woods riding. Reconstructing the shim stack is going to help a bunch but since I don't have the talent for that, I went to a tuner and had him set up a shim stack and install gold valves for my forks.
However, I felt the stock KX125 forks worked better than the stock KDX forks with just a simple oil change. The springs are a bit lite though for the heavier bike and rider on a KDX when compared to a KX125. If you make the swap, flush and change the oil to a 5 wt. Ride it that way a while and decide what needs tuning after playing with the clickers. Oh Yea, the KX forks have both the compression and rebound adjusters. KDX forks, even with gold valves won't provide that kind of adjustment. With the gold valves in my KX forks, a click or two makes significant changes in handling and performance.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…