Strange Problems With '04 KDX200

TaxPhd

Dec 29, 2003
Rode the bike yesterday, and for 30+ miles, ran great. Then, for no apparent reason, it lost power (rolling on the throttle just produced some gurgling/sputering) and died. Wouldn't start. When trying to start it, the best I got was some more gurgling/sputtering for a few seconds.

I have always had a small amount of splooge coming out of the silencer. No big deal. However, yesterday the bike was blowing splooge out of the connection between the pipe and the silencer. I didn't notice this until the bike died, so I have no idea when it was happening, but it did occur on this ride. The bike was clean when I started out.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Scott

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
Your plug might have gotten all loaded up...try a brand new plug....good luck with it.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
nectar said:
Your plug might have gotten all loaded up...try a brand new plug....good luck with it.

Yeah, try a new plug AND rejet so it doesn't happen again :thumb:

TaxPhd

Dec 29, 2003
I thought fouled plug (I've never had one before), but forgot the toolbox with all tools/spares so I couldn't change it when I was out there. I will do that tonight.

Will a fouled plug cause splooge to come out at the connection between pipe and silencer??

Thanks!

Scott

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
Perhaps....but, sounds like your packing is saturated, so change that too, and then throw a couple of zip ties around the boot connecting pipe/silencer....Stay on the pipe and it shouldn't happen again. Good luck it with.

TaxPhd

Dec 29, 2003
I'm pretty new to all this. What does it mean to "Stay on the pipe?"

Scott

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
TaxPhd said:
What does it mean to "Stay on the pipe?"

it means "hurt yourself"

Seriously, the carb can be tuned to eliminate the spooge, not foul plugs, and provide better power.

you new bike shouldn't have any packing to change, there is a drain plug on the silencer to drain accumalated spooge.

TaxPhd

Dec 29, 2003
;)

Does it mean to be more up in the power band as opposed to operating at lower RPM's?

When my son rides the bike, he doesn't really get into the power band very much - he is still a little intimidated by the bike. He rides at lower RPM's, and probably lugs the engine more than he should. Will this contribute the plug fouling?

Scott

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
...exactly...if you lug a 2 stroke to much you will load up the plug...So, it always good to "open it up" to clean things out after lugging around a tight trail, or something....

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Since you are new to this.............try putting in a BR8EG plug and I bet it will never foul again.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…