Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich

Only crazy people and Canadians willingly venture into the woods on a motorcycle. :)

I meet the second criteria (possibly the 1st also if the wife's opinion counts :scream: ) and I don't want any tree's anywhere near me when I'm anywhere past idle on a bike.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by WoodsRider

Well I don't say eh but I do have Strange Brew on video. :confused:

Your strange tree bark fetish is finally starting to make sense. :eek:

JohnnyBlitz

Sep 11, 2002
Going way back into the topic... I've personally seen Yamaha 4-stroke riders stall their bikes during supermotard and mx races and then frantically kick their brains out while everyone else passes them by. While I understand the requirements for weight savings for racing bikes, I don't understand why a racer would risk a lengthy restart when $$$ or points are on the line. Seeing this happen more than once has convinced me that my first dirt bike will have an electric start for those times I know I'll be stalling it in awkward places.
John B.

Ickabod

Apr 1, 2002
My old XR 350 would ocasionally kick back when the auto decompress hit wrong. Hurt like hell! That thing was alot easier to turn over by hand than my 426 but I don't think I could start either without kicking them. It took me about 5 starts to get the "drill" down and I really don't see what everyone is complaining about. I'm the only one in our group that rides a 4-stroke and I seem to have the least trouble starting. Even after I crash or stall, 3 or 4 kicks and away I go. If I go through the trouble of using the hot start button usually 1 or 2 kicks. The auto decompression system is only suposed to relieve cylinder pressure till the piston passes T.D.C. so as long as the motor stopped around there everything should be fine.If for somereason it stops somewhere else it might kick back. The thought of my 426 kicking back doesn't make me happy.

techman

Feb 18, 2000
One 426 kick-back in the foot is a vivid reminder to kick it all the way through like you mean it. It can be enough to tweak your ankle. If you do the drill they start excellently. The time required for the drill is not good for racing, but fine for trail riding.

I'll bet the guys kicking their brains out diddled their jets wrong.

Top Bottom