Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
After my latest get off while I'm mending I've been thinking more about a street ride. It's been 24 years since I had a street bike (Katana 750) and I'm not sure where to even start.

Sport bikes are out as our insurance rates for them are astronomical. I'd love to find a decent forum with something similar to our 'What Bike" forum.

So besides a forum if you're an avid street buff with some knowledge I'm looking at a cruiser that would have the ability for the wife and I to carry a weekends worth of clothing to make small trips. My wife has some physical issues so comfort for her would be paramount in my decision. The rest of the time it would be my daily transport weather permitting.

And for the Harley crowd, I don't get it, is there a reason I would want to pay a premium for a HD versus a nice Kawasaki Vulcan or Yamaha Road Star?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Honestly Doug, I've seen a bunch of bikes I would have sworn were Harley's, that turned out to be a Jap bike. They're even starting to sound like an HD.

I can't see the purpose. But you'll always have loyalists. My dad will never buy anything but GM, and will raise hell if I don't. However, I prefer Ford.

I'm going to make a WAG (wild ass guess) that you could find a decent metric cruiser for less money, that would be just as good as an HD. But, what the hell do I know.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Harley equals tradition, american made yet I'm not concerned with those values as some of my friends are. Victory is a nice bike that's also american made. I like Triumph - the new old style. Maybe you should consider a sidecar for your wife. The options are endless. Around here the 3 wheelers (trikes) are all over. This weeked is bike week in Muskegon, MI and there will be a ton of ride options. I'm sure with some searching you'll find the perfect fit. If I could find a 77 Honda 750 in mint condition I'd throw on some kerker 4 to 1's and be all set.

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
Set yourself a budget, Doug!

Like Johnny said, a '77 CB750 supersport is a tough bike to beat for classic looks/comfort/performance, and price.... unfortunately it's still has points. (My last street ride was a '77 CB750K)

Three totally awesome machines that are selling for reasonable prices right now are 1984-1986 Honda Sabre V65's, Yamaha FJ1200's, and the Kawasaki ZX1100E / ZRX1200 series... All good, reliable, fast bikes with low insurance and ergonomics that let you ride them all day long. They are all in the sub-$2500 range if you look long enough, and for $3K you can get them in looking like nearly new condition.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Doug,
I'm a member of the ROADSTART CLINIC. I recommend the Roadstar and with the recession, their several available with low miles and low price. I've now of a guy in my area that bought the 99 model and he has over 110,000 miles on it. Great bike to fiddle with, lots of cheap mods to keep you busy when the weather keeps you off of the bike.
An 02 to 06 will range in price from just under $5K to about $8.5K. I get 43 mpg at 75mph so it isn't a hog on the fuel. Most comfortable road bike that I've owned but is not in the same league as a Goldwing.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
HD is all about, appearing cool. The motor has patents on the degree of inclination on the v twin, it makes a particular sound and vibration? That 750 posted above, can be rode 100 miles before fatigue sets in, the HD has to be worse. HD used to be an all American company, and related parts, no more. The ama book says all the bikes are good! I am here to tell you, watching people ride the Can Am trikes is hilarious, just like a snowmobile. I seen Spider got broke, what happened to Doug? If you can ride the street legally, you need to tell me how to do it!

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
To clear up several points, no side car or trike will be considered, I mean I may be banged up but I still have testicles :laugh: also I don't want a full on touring bike like a Goldwing or Aspencade My first street bike ever was a 78 CB750 Custom, nice ride but I'm thinking something a bit more modern although If I was just looking for a bike to run around town on it would be fine. In fact I found a mint condition 85 Honda Ascot 500 for dirt cheap that piqued my interest but it would be nothing more than a runaround town toy.

As far as the FJ1200 and ZX series they would be classified as Sport/Sport touring and the insurance goes over the top. Sadly we have one choice for insurance in the Province I live in and its government monopoly who don't want to insure motorcycles. I just checked and to insure a 1986 FJ1200 with the bare minimum comprehensive and collision would be $2200 a year while a 2006 Road Star could be insured for $1500. Both insane but the cruiser is about as good as it gets here.

Bob I came over a large tabletop to a blind landing on a practice day with no flaggers and found a rider down on the landing. I managed to miss him on the landing but not his bike. Took a handlebar in the midsection on my way over the bars and had a hematoma on my hip so big I had to bump up my pant size by two for a week. I'm currently blue/yellow/green/purple from my last rib to my left knee. Nothing major but sore enough and seeing how hard it is on my wife got me doing some thinking.

Forgot to mention budget, I've been looking up to the 5k range currently but I'm still at the very early tire kicking stage, I'll adjust the budget to acquire what I feel will be the most suitable bike.

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
What about a BMW? :)

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I've been on streetbikes for the last few years and hung it up for now due to a crash that left me uninjured but scared the hell out of me. ....so anyway...the BMW comment from Patman makes a lot of sense. If you are willing to spend up to 5k you can get some sweet rides, relatively low miles for BMW's (anything under 50k isn't even broke in :)) and comfortable for a passenger. My last streetable bike was a KTM adventure...while the best do it all bike ever, passenger comfort is not what this one is about.

On another note...Doug, heal up man...this is the stuff that made me shift from MX to woods riding...yes you'll hit trees, but you don't have to :)...and if you do it really is YOUR own fault.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
A 1200GS with a Sargent seat dropping it down to around 31", some aluminum boxes and you are ready to explore the great white north or on down to Cape Horn :cool:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Doug - Take a spin on Dave's Bonneville next time you are in Cheeseville. I think you'll really like it. Passengers seem to be really happy with the comfort level as well.

Even living in Chicago mine only cost me $214 / year to insure.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Doug.

Patmans suggestion on the BMW is a good one. I bought a 2000 RT1100RTP and love it. Mine is an ex Highway Patrol bike and it had 64,000 miles on it when I bought it. Barely broken in for a BMW. They are very comfortable on long rides. They work good in the twisties too, especially for such a big bike. They are a little tall for guys like you and I but that is only a problem when your under 3MPH. Like Patty said, you can get other seats for them that set you lower to the ground. Very comfortable riding two-up.

Mine has heated handgrips, adjustable windshield, two outlets for heated vests, cruise control and the saddle bags are very cool. They are hard bags that un-clip and you can carry them like a suitcase. Like Wolf said, you can pick them up 'used' for around $5K and with a BMW, mileage is not a factor. My old '83 BMW RT100 had over 300,000 miles on it the last I heard. The only thing we ever did to it was a valve job.

The RTP or, Police model has a few added features. It has a oil cooler, a higher output alternator, lower gearing for harder acceleration, a switch that will turn the lights off and a switch to turn the ABS off or on. Unfortunatly, they took the red light and siren off of it. :laugh:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
New or old school Bonneville Rich?

New school, I wanted a bike to ride not a project (I have enough ot those already) . ;)

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Rich Rohrich said:
New school, I wanted a bike to ride not a project (I have enough ot those already) . ;)
That's what I want, but don't need presently...How about a picture to spark Chilis interest?

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Uchytil said:
That's what I want, but don't need presently...How about a picture to spark Chilis interest?

I don't need a picture, I've seen it in person :) but it's cool enough for Dave to show off if he likes.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Here is one for you I saw it a couple weeeks back along the road just south of here
050100_133700.jpg

you mean this old bike- I love it
triumph003copy.jpg

triumph001copy.jpg

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
My dad recently sold his Honda Valkyrie Interstate (Fairing, radio, hard bags, trunk). It was a nice bike and something unique with the flat 6 motor. My mom never rode with him so he ended up selling it and bought something smaller since he never goes on long trips. He has a 1600 yamaha Royal star, road star, something like that. Silverado edition of whatever it is. As someone said, i think HD had a patent on how their bikes sound and yamaha was forced to up the displacement to 1700 on newer bikes to make it sound different. He actually enjoys riding the yamaha more, Yeah it has a hell of a lot less power but it has a hell of a lot less weight too. The honda would be more comfortable for the wife but it kinda depends on how long the trips you guys are planning.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Yamaha FZ1 is a possibility if you want "near" sportbike performance without the high insurance rates and extreme sportbike body contorsions. Classified as a "Sport-Touring" bike, the 2002 to 2005 leaned toward touring comfort and 2006 and later introduced FI, aluminum frame and a bit more sporty riding position (along with thinner seat). Performance for all models is about the same - roughly a 10.5 quarter mile.

I don't ride my 2003 above 65 mph of course *cough* :joke:

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/index.shtml

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Like the looks of those but based on the cost of insurance our government insurer must see it as sport something as it's over $2200 to insure a 2002.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Chili said:
Like the looks of those but based on the cost of insurance our government insurer must see it as sport something as it's over $2200 to insure a 2002.

What the ??? :yikes: Mine is only about 150 bucks a year (comprehensive only - I figure if I survive an accident, they can take the bike). It was $109 a year when I first insured it as a "Fazer" - the European marketing of the bike when the insurer couldn't find "FZ1" in her book.

Oh well.....there would be better choices then....

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Well I opted for plan B and that was to keep this a budget transaction and to see how much use the bike gets through the rest of this season. If I find I'm enjoying the street and putting a fair amount of miles on then I'll upgrade next spring.

Picked this up today for $1000 which is about $500 under market value for our crazy market up here. About as mint as you'll find any original non restored 28 year old bike.

17258ak_20.jpeg

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I had an 81 Seca, that is a great engine on the Maxim. I put 60K on my Seca and practically cried when I sold it. But, I got into (back into) dirtbikes shortly there after.

Top Bottom