Jan 16, 2005
I was wondering if any of you have made the transition from a street bike to dirt, and were you happy with the bike you chose/had the first time around considering you already knew how to go on two wheels?

I want my friend to start riding with me and she's really psyched about it, she's been riding street for a number of years now and can comfortably maneuver her 750 with her small body. (5' 5", 118lbs approx)) I realize the power delivery from a cruiser to a dirtbike is considerably different, not to mention the skill and technique involved.

My point is, I was looking for a good starting point to begin shopping around for a bike to buy her, and was considering the TTR230 or the CRF230. I'm not so concerned with the height of these because I know I can remedy that for her, but I'm hoping these don't have too much torque?

For a street rider would the TTR125 or others in that class seem underpowered?

Maybe I should let her ride my KDX first, if she's still on the seat after third gear and smiling, then that might be a good gauge of what might work for her.

Any feedback much appreciated.

hammera

Jan 17, 2005
Lots of women here far more experienced input on power to fun ratio in the dirt, but I _can_ speak for street to dirt. :-)

On the street I ride a Ducati 748s, before that a GSX-R 750, and various other bikes. These are hypersport/supersport bikes which each deliver a fair amount of power to the ground. I've had both on the ractrack, as well as some other racebikes. For the dirt, however, I actually have a TTR125L. For trails and single-tracks and all-around fun (not to mention a manageable height and weight) - the TTR125 is a blast.

It's no MX bike, and it does suck over whoops and jumps and steep downhills w/ the stock suspension (something I am currently having worked on). But given that, unless you're doing fire roads and desert-type "smooth/open" riding, a great deal of the time she probably won't be flogging her bike at top speed. As far as getting up hills capably, the bikes you mentioned, and even the "next smaller" sizes are quite capable.

There's my two bits... i'm sure the capable ladies of the board will have lots of good advice for you!

-tamara

Jan 16, 2005
Thanks tamara,

As you mentioned, I know any performance bike would be too much, and there are so many good trail bikes out there for her to start out on, I just want her to have fun and not be spooked by something too powerful, yet enjoy some of the mild technical stuff that makes off-road enjoyable.

Top Bottom