mikromo

Jul 6, 2000
OK, OK, I know this is a dirtbike forum, but if you have an opinion, please chime in. I've almost always had a streetbike, as a matter of fact I only rode street for many years b-4 getting a dirtbike 8 years ago. I then got so ate up with the off road thing, that I sold all my streetbikes. So then the super motard thing takes off and gets me wanting another streetbike along those lines ( KTM Duke ). The upcoming V twin Duke looks like exactly the scoot for me, but the wife isn't going for 12 grand now or ever! So I've been wearing her down on the streetbike thing for months now. Now she still isn't going for 12 grand, but a very close friend of mine is selling his 99 Kawasaki ZRX1100, low miles, less than 3000, which he claims is because I quit riding street, so he has no one to ride with. He's going for a sport tour bike of the Moto Guzzi kind and I can pick up his pristine Kawi for a shade under 4 grand, which the wife will OK. Does anyone have a lot of experiance with one of these? Will an old Ducati rider be able to live with a transverse 4? I have riden the thing a couple of times and the power is impressive! It must be similar to being shot out of a cannon. Any thoughts?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Belongs in the Off-Topic Forum.
Moved.

Amadeus

Apr 10, 2003
Ive been on the street for 13 yrs now so my opinion is farely accurate.
Yes, the ZRX has some power but overall ridability it doesnt have the whole package. If you are into something like this which has a BOAT load of power, handles really well in the turn(ZRX doesnt), yet comfortable for the tour(ZRX has some serious vibration issues) I have the bike for you.

A year and a half ago I almost purchased the ZRX because Im real big on the 'naked sport bikes'. Well I did some shoppin and man did I find the best of the best. If you want a naked sport bike you really should check out the the Yamaha FZ1. Ive had my 02' for 18 months now and it completely blows away the ZRX when it comes to power, corners, comfort, and looks(in my opinion). You can pick up the 2001 (which is exactly the same as the 02's & 03's except for color) for under $5K. My stock FZ1 dyno'd at 128rwhp. I put on a LeoVinci slipon and Ivan's jet kit( about $500) and it dyno's at 137.5rwhp @ 78.1lbs of torque. Ive taken it on the track at Thunderhill it handles so well. If you really want the full scoop on the bike check out the FZ1 owners website or just email me.
Good luck!

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
amadeus has some valid points but he has left one out. you have the chance to purchase a rarely used bike for half the price of a new fz1. i own a zrx1100 because i was tired of waiting for the xjr1200 (european model fj1200 based naked bike) to come to america. alas, it never made it due to emissions. the fz1 was a developed project from the r1. i can assure you that the zrx is a very competent street bike. think of it as a gt. i sport tour the thing with a wife on the back and soft luggage. there is plenty of ponies to haul up pretty much any mountain pass in north america with two up and gear. there are lots of bikes that would die for torque/hp numbers that the zrx1100 has. the power of the zrx is easy to get to the pavement too. no rowing through the shifter. in the twistys, pick a gear and ride. if its not fast enough in stock form, there are zx11 cams awaiting your wrenches. brakes are good. suspension is adjustable. ive had no problem with vibrations. the only thing ive done is to add a corbin seat. if passenger comfort is a consideration, be sure to compare seats. my wife spends weekends on the back of the zrx with no complaints. the stocker foam is not very good for long rides. as far as handling goes, ive feathered em out to the edges no problem. is it flickable as the fz1? no but it is not a truck either. is it stable in a corner? yes. ive got some really good triple digit sweepers on video at some serious lean angles. i trail brake the rear and go in on the front brake all of the time. im sure the fz is better on the track and wont argue that but i dont ride that many track days. as far as styling goes, i prefer the zrx......it looks more retro or like the bike that it represents ala "original superbike". if you know who eddie lawson was and what the kz1000ELR is, then you know what i mean. one last benefit to buying your friends zrx vs a used fz1 is the fact that you know where and how that zrx was ridden and serviced. not sure what the insurance is on the fz1 but mine is 180 per yr full coverage. amadeus is right that the fz1 is a naked "sport bike" while the zrx is more real world. think of it as corvette fz1 and camaro ss zrx1100.

mikromo

Jul 6, 2000
Thanx guys! doubt I'll get too many track days either, and the FZ1's I've priced are nearly 6 grand, so I think I'll go kwackers. This bikes already got a corbin seat, and a scorpion pipe, plus a K&N filter. Thanks for the input!

Top Bottom