Street-legal dirt bike? (new rider needs help!)

one two punch

Nov 11, 2004
Well I've been looking at sport bikes (for fun and transportation, not wheelies) and I've decided maybe a dirt bike is the best place to look first. I spent some time on dirt bikes as a kid but that was probably 10 years ago.

What helped push me towards a dirt bike rather than some tiny sport bike is that my family has a lot of land. They spend a lot of time hunting and riding atv's and I think it would be pretty awesome to be the first person in our family to have their own dirt bike out there.

Okay down to it.. I'm 6'1 or 2 and weigh about 160. I can't say I'm skilled at riding because of lack of experience but let's face it.. I'm not retarded (and im not stupid either). And I spend a lot of time on my mtn bike so I'm capable of riding on two wheels :P. I just want something nice, street legal, dependable, and fun.

Also.. do people usually use the same tires on the street as off-road?

Thanks for any help,
Hunter

PS I need help with a decision on everything.. brand, size, tires, even some popular early mods if you feel like spending the time typing.

Another ?.. What all am I going to have to do to make it street legal if I didn't get one that already was? Just headlights and turn signals?

Last edited:

one two punch

Nov 11, 2004
The thing with buying a sport bike is everyone says "get something old and slow so you can learn and when you drop it you won't mess up a nice bike." Is this the case with you guys? I don't plan on spending much time in the air (it does sound fun though) and dropping the bike in the woods wouldn't hurt much. Is there any reason why I shouldn't just go buy a new honda from a shop?

KDXKen

Dec 14, 2002
Just shop around and find something in the price range your comfortable with most shops if can help you find a bike to fit your need just tell them what your looking for and what kinda riding your gonna be doing and they can probably set you up.

one two punch

Nov 11, 2004
I'm heading to a shop hopefully tomorrow. The only shop that is nearby isn't known for being very helpful and im assuming all they will try to do is get me to buy the biggest most expensive bike.

I've been looking around and I like the wr250f and the crf650L. Is the yamaha street legal by any chance? And I like the honda more but it seems a little out of my league..

KDXKen

Dec 14, 2002
If your have any knowledge at all with bikes you can shop online and find kits to make most any bike street legal just shop around and do plenty or research

one two punch

Nov 11, 2004
Thats the problem. I don't know what I'm looking for or need to look for. I went to the shop today and looked around. The 650's were gigantic! So the crf650 is out of the question. I also looked at a yz250 and it was nearly as big. Do you think a 150 would be too small for me or would I be better off getting used to a 250?

KDXman_88

Jul 27, 2004
get the YZ250, you can register it but it would not make a very good street bike but on the other hand it would make a great dirt bike. I would say go witht he XR650L, it is not out of your league, they are nice bikes that are not arm wrenching beasts.

Mikey350D

May 27, 2002
Check out the DR's

Take at look at the Suzuki DR350/DRZ400.
They have been great dual-sports for a long time.
I bought a DR350 for 1100$ 2 years ago with 4K mi.
Set it up for dirt use: Its an adequate trail bike.
IMHO: Dual sport (license plate) is the only way to go.
XR650 is much to big/heavy for technical trail use.

Mikey350D

john3_16

May 17, 2004
one two punch said:
The thing with buying a sport bike is everyone says "get something old and slow so you can learn and when you drop it you won't mess up a nice bike." Is this the case with you guys? I don't plan on spending much time in the air (it does sound fun though) and dropping the bike in the woods wouldn't hurt much. Is there any reason why I shouldn't just go buy a new honda from a shop?

I would say that is a word of wisdom if you're buying a sportbike. If you go down on an expensive sportbike on the street it doesn't take much of a fall to do alot of damage because of the way they're built and the weight...One little slide could destroy a fairing and they cost $700 or more to replace...Not to mention all the lights ect...

But you should be able to get whatever dirtbike you want...A small fall on a dirts bike usually results in a bent lever or handlebars at the worst..Unless you've got Renthal twinwalls!

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
I think where you are going to use it off road and you said you only weigh 160 you should grab a hold of the bikes you are considering and lean them a ways then see if you think you can deal with the weight. it also depends on how much power you want. some of the air cooled 4 strokes are street legal and have ok power, just not in the catagory as the yzf and crf type 4 strokes, but ceaper to purchase! the earlier statement on leaning them over a ways was in reference to you saying the 650 and yz 250 were about the same size. wait until you lean them over!

BBdotcom

Sep 26, 2004
Here's My 2cents. a street bike is meant for the street and a dirt bike is meant for the dirt. Combining the two (dual sport) raises safety issues in both worlds and requires an experienced rider at both. Emergency braking on the street with knobby tires can be fatal...
and the power of a 650 in the woods could be hard to handle.
you drop your new 650 (with flashers and mirrors) in the woods and your going to have more than a bent lever.
divide your budget in two and get a used street bike and a used dirt bike to trail ride. my 2cents.
good luck with your choice...
Tom
PS. a 198? Honda CB650 or CB750 is a great reliable street bike and a Yamaha TTR250 or Kawasaki KDX200 or 220 is from what i read on here two of the best trail bikes available.
I'm sure others can add to the list of reliable street and dirt bikes...

Last edited:
Top Bottom