snullia

Oct 26, 2001
Hi all,

I am looking into the possibilities of making a EXC street legal.
At first look it should not be to complected to do, since there is already a dc. voltage source available for turnsignals and horn.

So I am curious:

Has anyone here made a 400/520 street legal ?

Does KTM make a dualsport kit, and if not who does?

If available how hard is installation?

johnf3

Mar 21, 2000
KTM does not make a "kit" that is ready to go, but all the parts you need are available from them. I had my dealer install all KTM brand parts on my 520 exc to make it street legal, it was titled as a street bike out the door! I added the KTM hi/lo light switch which also incorporates the horn button, an electric horn, a fold down mirror, and a factory KTM brake light switch. Total cost, around 100 bucks. These parts all come off the Euro version of the EXC and are easy to install and look like they belong. The only way to go if you are looking to make this bike street legal.

TEAMRAT

Sep 19, 2001
As johnf3 says the parts are all available from KTM, just check out the parst list that comes with the bike, here in New Zealand we get a version much the same as the euro one with different wiring loom, tail light, blinkers, speedo and horn etc.
If you want I could detail out all the parts fitted to mine and let you have the list, though your dealer if hes any good should be able to suss this out.
I am actually looking to go the other way and get a US spec loom to get rid of the excess wiring on mine.

let me know if I can help. db68db@xtra.co.nz :D

snullia

Oct 26, 2001
johnf3

Thank you for the info, this is just what I wanted to hear.

TEAMRAT

Thank you for the nice offer, yes please send me the list. e-mail snullia@visir.is

Some of the guys here have made some twostroke KTM´s street legal, and already have some stuff like turn-signals and more.

I would not use the bike in it´s street legal form, this is simply to be able to get the bike trough registration.

So when I get this the list from you I will know what I need to buy and what I can borrow to get the plates.

SN22

Jun 15, 2000
Johnf3,
Would it be to much to ask you for the oe#'s of the parts. I am from Ohio and will have my bike Friday and would like to do the same as you did! Are the part#'s available online?

Thanks,
Scott

johnf3

Mar 21, 2000
I will try to look them up this evening and re-post. Your new bike will come with a parts manual that will have the part #'s.

Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
I just got my 520 inspected today here in Texas. Now all I have to do is register it and attach the license plate. I used all the factory KTM parts which turned out real nice.

Larry

SN22

Jun 15, 2000
Larry,
Awesome job on the install. That is exactly what I want mine to look like. I feel like a 10 year old. I cant wait until tomorrow when my '02 gets here!!! How much did all the parts cost? Is it an easy install? Did you have to do any new wiring?
Thanks for the pictures!!
Scott

Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
Thanks! I never did figure out exactly what it cost me, but Stephan at http://www.stephans-garage.de/onlineshop/start.htm put it all together for me. I believe he now has a package that he put together that includes everything you need. The web site is in German, but just click around and you'll figure it out. You can also e-mail him at Stephans-Garage@t-online.de
He speaks English well.

It was pretty easy doing the install. The hardest part was running the new wiring harness,and I had to drill the rear fender for the turn signal mounts.

I love the way it turned out. Can't wait to get the license plate for it.

Larry

PeterWaldman

Jan 18, 2001
Person8

So how long did it take to melt a $44 turn signal? :eek:
A glob of black plastic hanging by the wires.

After trying three different (smaller) turn signal units behind the exhaust pipe I gave up and went to the new UFO tail light turn signal combo unit.

I've got a 2000 KTM 520 EXC - the exhaust outlet is a bit different than the 2001 but it still looks like it will melt the signal.

You may want to silicone the area where the wiring goes into the turn signal and the tail light. Mud and gunk found its way into all my rear KTM brand lighting components. This should be factory provided. Maybe next year? When I installed the UFO brand tail light turn signal unit I siliconed everything before mounting.

Good luck with your KTM!

Adam 982

Mar 29, 2001
BikeRear.JPG

as soon as i saw that pic i realized theres definatly going to be a problem with the exhaust on the signal.... :think:
I'm almost done with my 380SX dualsport.. ill take some pics next week when im done :p

Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
The photo is a tad misleading. It is pretty close to the path of the exhaust, but the muffler's output kind of points down and to the outside, so the signal light doen't take a direct hit. I'll keep an eye on it though and see if it starts to show any signs of melting. The silicone is a good idea. Electrical connections and water don't mix.

Larry

Adam 982

Mar 29, 2001
Thats a good view of it.. the stock KTM exhaust is cocked down and to the side a bit.. if ya go aftermarket your gonna have to get flushmounts or somethin ;)

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Two KTM dealers have told me that KTM will not ship the "street parts" stateside.

Bajadesigns advises they have a "tailored" kit for the EXCs. Requires a stator rewind ($85) and the kit costs $325.

PeterWaldman

Jan 18, 2001
It's true, the standard lighting coil can't handle a high wattage head lamp. If you intend to ride fast trails at night or on the highway at night with the RFS, a stator rewind is recommended.

For those riders that will not be riding much at night and just need to pass inspection and get the street license plate, the stock system does the trick without getting too fancy.

The stock headlight is adequate for slow tight trails at night or back road street riding but more light is ALWAYS better. Keep in mind the plastic head lamp housing will melt with a high wattage lamp instaled.

WOW now we can melt the headlamp housing and the rear turnsignal! :o

RFS will just be a big glob of melted polymer going down the trail.

Adam 982

Mar 29, 2001
I picked up the plate for my 380SX this morning and rode around a bit.. its definatly a blast! it seems kinda slow on the road but thats because of the 14/52 gearing... top speed is around 70 but i hover around 60 on the Main roads.. I ordered a 45tooth rear sprocket so i dont have to rev it alot when im cruising.. and itll help me with the wheelspin problem ;) (if you can consider that a problem lol)

Hopefully ill get some pics of it tomorro when im at work :) they have a digicam up to the shop to take pics of the used bikes for the webpage .. i think i can convince em to let me play with it hehe :p

wfocrusty

Nov 2, 2001
I just plated my new 520 EX/C in Missouri. Here all we have to have is a working headlight, tailight and DOT aproved knobbies. I put brake light switches on the front and rear anyhow. You outta see the looks at some of the old farmers and kids when I pull up to the gas station and fill up!!!!!!

"Nuthin' like the smell of fresh roost in the mornin'!"
:cool:

brillmtb

Dec 12, 2001
Making the 520 Street legal

There seems to be great interest in this. I certainly am interested but was also told I could not obtain the KTM parts in the US.
I have also been told the stator needs to be rewound but the EU and US bikes have the same part number, I contacted someone in Europe to see if thier stators were different and the dealer there could not find a difference so I dont know what to believe now.

Can someone post a parts list here?

I would like to know if anyone needed to get the EU wiring harness in order to use the turn signal switch.
I am even thinking of adding the horn and radiator fan while I am at it.
I have my plates but that does not mean the police cant ticket you if you dont meet the code for your state.

Top Bottom