Street legal Supermoto KX 500 or CR 500....

GhostRider32

Feb 10, 2004
Hey all,

I was thinking about how cool it would be to have a supermoto bike and then began to think that I would like a street legal CR or KX 500 with 17" wheels like a regular supermoto with quality sportbike tires on it. Does anyone make spoke 17" wheels that would work and if not, what could I use in it's place? It's a crazy idea I know but a street legal 500 2 stroke with sportbike tires.................. um, um fun. :)

towlie

Jun 5, 2005
Dude the bikes yamaha(rd's) made in the 80's i believe fall under the grandfather clause, like beetles with no seatbelts. You might be able to get away with getting a tag to race enduros but I am not sure of this. You can get premade 17" rims, stator coil/voltage regulator, and DOT headlights and brakelights at rockymountainatv.com.

GhostRider32

Feb 10, 2004
In some states they may not be legal but in Texas I believe they are. I would love to have an 1984 Yamaha RZ350 2 stroke to ride on the street but those things are worth way more now than when they were new.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
I think the problem with a Street-legal 2 stroke would be that you coulnt hold it a high throttle opening for a long time, then just let it off to a idle speed. Sure you could hold the clutch, but thatmay be inconveient.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Depending on your needs a 2 stroke can be fine on the street. I ride my KDX a lot on the road, it's plated in Michigan. I haven't tried changing the registration over to Georgia yet.

Check out the Michigan forum on this site. Woodsy has a street legal KX 500, along with a bunch of other bikes.

AnTs

Uhhh...
Nov 5, 2005
from what i know 2 strokes are not street legal anymore, they use to be. But now their not.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
AnTs said:
from what i know 2 strokes are not street legal anymore, they use to be. But now their not.

There's a big difference between what is legal for manufactures to sell and what can be converted. Manufactures must meet strict emissions and sound laws, and it simply isn't economically possible with a 2 stroke anymore. However, if you are converting a bike to get a plate most places could care less about it's emissions. There are a lot of people out there that have 2 stroke dual sport bikes. It's completly legal in many areas.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
I got busted once, I wasnt charged, but was told by the cop I could be charged up to $10000 in fines for no insurance, offroad vehicle on road, no plate and somthing else, cant remeber. But the fines would probably differ in your area. Needless to say, I ride on the road very little now.

GhostRider32

Feb 10, 2004
thing2_and_thing1 said:
You should be shot for that. I was looking forward to a new street legal big bike.

Shot, LOL. :) My point was that 2 strokes are still street legal. I agree, I'd love a new big 2 stroke. :)

uts

Jan 8, 2004
Hey Dirtosaurs,

I don't know about the U.S, but down here in AUS in 2001, Honda put out the CR500E. It has full road compliance. I think the only differences to the moto version are the lights etc(of course) and the pipe and silencer - and tyres I guess. There aren't too many around because they were only produced for that one year.

Later

uts

Jan 8, 2004
Hey Ghostrider32,

Move down here to Aus, and watch the internet adds every minute, and you may just get one in a year or so. (if you are quick with the telephone)

UTS

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…