earl pittz

Uhhh...
Mar 9, 2007
Can I make my 1983 CR 250 Road legal? I thought I heard somewhere that if it has headlights and signal lights you could go on the road. I think I'm probably rong though. Is it even possible to put a headlight on a motocross bike, I guess you would have to some how attatch a battery to the CDI. I don't really know anything about it, can anyone help? If I can't get it road legal I would at least like to get a headlight on it.

Blackcat

Mar 9, 2007
Well if you make it leagal in washington there is a chance they might let you keep the licence plate due to what's called grandfather rights.

T-Bone1

Mar 6, 2007
I made my 06 TT-R 230 road legal. I got a light kit for it from bajadesigns. To make it legal you have to have a working headlight with highbeam, turnsignals, a working tail/brake light, a horn, DOT approved highway tires, and a mirror. I had to have a cop come out to my house and check the bike over. I had a checklist that he looked at. I also put a speedo on it and a changed up the gearing too. Oh and I put a tool kit on the rear fender. It could be different in other states.

Red Ryder

Mar 14, 2007
What are the best on/off road tires, obviously I would like tires with the biggest knobs.

I have changed my name to Red Ryder, I'm not Earl Pittz anymore. Just in case you were wondering. :cool:

Last edited:

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
T-Bone1 said:
I made my 06 TT-R 230 road legal. I got a light kit for it from bajadesigns. To make it legal you have to have a working headlight with highbeam, turnsignals, a working tail/brake light, a horn, DOT approved highway tires, and a mirror. I had to have a cop come out to my house and check the bike over. I had a checklist that he looked at. I also put a speedo on it and a changed up the gearing too. Oh and I put a tool kit on the rear fender. It could be different in other states.

That is the key in that statment. It varies from state to state. You have to talk to your local DMV, to see what the requirements are and if it is possible where you live. Th e requirements and legality of it vary. Some places it is easy, others it is impossible or very difficult.

Red Ryder

Mar 14, 2007
Ok, thanks everyone for the help, I don't think I'll bother messing with it. I'll probably get to CA and find out I wasted money on the whole jig. I don't HAVE to go on the road I just thought it would be nice to be able to ride on the road to get to where I can ride off the road. :whoa:

Top Bottom