greendrz

Aug 24, 2004
AFAIK you need a street plate to ride Enduros in these here parts. I am fiending to get me a 2-stroke Enduro and woould love to get a KDX instead of a KTM for many reasons BUT the KTM has a certificate of origin that does NOT say "For Off Road Use Only" on it, and is, therefore, way easier to regester (In general). I know for a fact the full-on dirt bikes have been regestered in the Commonwealth before, but how hard is it/was it. What has to happen. I guess if ther is a Mass guy here it's a good question. The REAL question is: does a KDX Certificate of Origin sa "For Off Highway Use Only" on it?

thanks

GDRZ

razrbakcrzy

Aug 12, 2004
greendrz said:
you need a street plate to ride Enduros in these here parts.GDRZ

Friend,

Please check out www.bajadesigns.com, Look at the dual sport kits. You will need to add D.O. T. approved tires, a left hand mirror and the afore mention D. O. T. approved lighting kit from bajadesigns. With this kit you will also need to buy a 75 watt lighting stator from Moose or send yours to Baja Designs to get it rewound. You may also want to regear your bike to somthing more like a 14/46 instead of the stock for more top end. My kdx was only capable of about 50 miles an hour before I regeared it from the 13/47 it came with stock. All together get ready to spend about $700.00 Not including your tags and insurance. You May also have to go through a lengthy process proving all the up grades you have done to the bike to make it street legal. There may also be a inspection required by a local state policeman depending on the law of your state.

Try doing a search on this forum for street legal or baja designs or somthing of that nature i found loads of information about this subject before i asked my first question.

Jim :eek:

greendrz

Aug 24, 2004
razrbakcrzy said:
Friend,

Please check out ... With this kit you will also need to buy a 75 watt lighting stator from Moose or send yours to Baja Designs to get it rewound. You may also want to regear your bike .... You May also have to go through a lengthy process proving all the up grades you have done to the bike to make it street legal. There may also be a inspection required by a local state policeman depending on the law of your state.

Try doing a search on this forum for street legal or baja designs or somthing of that nature i found loads of information about this subject before i asked my first question.

Jim :eek:

Thanks Jim. I didn't actually find any information that I needed by searching, so I asked. I am familliar with B.D. and was hoping that I wouldn't have to go through all that or regearing for "top end" since I don't want to Dual Sport the bike, only have it legal for ECEA and NETR events (Enduros is what I want to try). I have a KLX400sr factory Dual Sport but I'm going to have to Un-dirt it and ADVenture it out due to a variety of circumstances. Besides, I wouldn't want to try to race that thing!

ken

razrbakcrzy

Aug 12, 2004
I would try one of the organizing bodies for the information then. If anybody would know whats required thay should.

greendrz

Aug 24, 2004
razrbakcrzy said:
I would try one of the organizing bodies for the information then. If anybody would know whats required thay should.

Yep, a street plate. On a KTM all you do is go to the regestry and get a plate. Done. If you want it inspected, well then it's "Hello MR. Baja Designs"! BUT the Certificate of Origin from KTM does NOT say "For Off Highway Use Only", like most "dirt bike" ones do. I was just wondering if KDX do to or, due to thier intended use, they don't say that or how much a PITA it is to get it done here in MA> I guess different staes have differnt requerments to regester. Here it is Insure->Regeter->inspect.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
razrbakcrzy said:
Please check out Baja Designs, Look at the dual sport kits. You will need to add D.O. T. approved tires, a left hand mirror and the afore mention D. O. T. approved lighting kit from bajadesigns. With this kit you will also need to buy a 75 watt lighting stator from Moose or send yours to Baja Designs to get it rewound. You may also want to regear your bike to somthing more like a 14/46 instead of the stock for more top end. My kdx was only capable of about 50 miles an hour before I regeared it from the 13/47 it came with stock. All together get ready to spend about $700.00 Not including your tags and insurance. You May also have to go through a lengthy process proving all the up grades you have done to the bike to make it street legal. There may also be a inspection required by a local state policeman depending on the law of your state.

Just a note, the Baja Designs kit is designed to work with a floating ground system. I purchased the Moose lighting coil and it did not work till I changed the grounding system (easy, remove a ring terminal and solder on a wire leafing to the Baja harness). I find the 50 mph top speed hard to swallow, I'm guessing more like 65 mph. I'll find out this weekend with GPS. My old KDX was hopped up and reved higher, but ran 13/50 gearing and pulled every bit of 70 mph.

Oh yea, and the kit, mirror, and lighting coil ran me $542.83. Depending what tires you go with that could push the $700 mark. I passed inspection yesterday with knobbies, but caught a ton of guff for the bike being 2 stroke, the officer said that 2 strokes are too loud usually (not 15 seconds later a Honda VTX roared by and we both laughed and he said my bike was more than quiet enough). Today is the insurance hunt.....

In Michigan we Inspect > Insure > Register. Now that I think about it I don't believe anything on my title states "Off-Highway Use Only". Anyway, good luck.

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
I had a 50 rear tooth and I was able to get 72 mph with a rejet and FMF gnarly pipe w/ Turbinecore2.

Gee I thought it was only hard in Cali to get a dirt bike registered. You might want to try **** or something to find a KDX that was licenced already in another state like say Vermont (wasnt it supposedly easier there) and bring it into your state then you can just transfer the plate. I am not sure if there is also a state inspection that will be hard to pass though. (stock silencer) A days drive seems to be easier than all that trouble to me.

My friend bought a KTM300 and the sales guy was like, do you want a plate? He was like Yeah and blammo it had a plate with stickers on it for no extra money or anything. I dont think it was legal though no mirrors, horn, brakelight turnsignals...Etc... But he had a plate and drove it down the street to get to the trails with out a hassle (yet)...

Last edited:

stinx

Jul 25, 2000
I got my 02 KDX 200 on the road in Ma with no problem. I gave the certificate of origin and all paperwork to my insurance agent. af ew hours later I had my plate.Another option is to register the bike in vermont,then transfer the title to Ma and re register the bike. Alot of the guys that ride Netra endros go about it that way.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Got my bike on the road yesterday. Stock everything, cept lighting coil, fork springs, and the Baja Design's dual sport kit. Ran 71.9 mph on my gps. Anything above 50 mph kinda sucks, that's about where the powervalve opens in 6th gear and then it feels like the bike wants another gear if you plan on holding speed. Around town it's a blast!

SGM

Mar 24, 2004
the certificate of origin on my '00 said in bold print "not for highway use" and the DMV hassled me and would not register it. Friend with an '01 went to two differant registrys and got it done. his cert. was printed the same but he got a clerk in training and was passed through. Another put a Kawasaki sticker over the "not for highway use" and got passed through. I went through vermont and rec a plate but VT does not require a title for anything under 300cc.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
That was the other thing I forgot to comment on. My title did end up saying "Not for highway use" on it. The inspection form I had over-rode that, but unfortunatly the computer kept kicking it out at secretary of state. Over an hour later and 4 phone calls to their main office it finally had to be done manually off-line.

What really sucked about it is that I did this on the one day a week they are open late, so the place was PACKED with people waiting. There were 2 ladies working, and I took about an hour and ten minutes with the one. The other lady stopped probably every ten minutes to help out too. I think about 30 people waiting there wanted to drag me out back for holding things up, although it wasn't my fault.

Top Bottom