stuck alignment dowels

pro2k

Nov 7, 2002
The alignment dowles are stuck in my cylinder base and I can't break them lose! I ended up twisting and deforming the dowel.... :bang: Any ideas how to break them lose???

2003 CR250

Last edited:

chewy

Oct 25, 2001
Maybe try removing the studs. Could give you some room to wiggle them out a bit. Also spray some penetrating fluid in and around the dowels and let it soak overnight.

Good luck, let us know how you go......

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
I've had to use a punch from the side to make them heart shaped and then take the vise grips to them, also used a Dremel and drill on occassions too. Coat the new ones in grease before you put them back in.

Revver

Feb 1, 2005
Your best bet is to remove the studs that the pins are stuck on and dremel the dowels free of the studs(or cases) once they are out. I had to do this on my 01 cr. The best way to free the studs without damaging them is to thread two nuts on the stud, one threaded one direction the other threaded the opposite direction. tighten them against each other. They should be threaded so that, when really tight, the stud will turn and loosen rather than the nuts when you try and loosen them. Hope this helps.

pro2k

Nov 7, 2002
Thanks guys! The dowels weren't stuck on the studs but stuck in the cylinder holes were the studs go through. I was able to get them out by squeezing the ends together with vise-grips and then sticking a bolt through the open end and pounding them out. It was a MOTHER getting those *******s out! I also soaked them in penetrating oil to help loosen them up.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…