KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
I am finally trying to install my trail tech computer that I got six months ago. The bolts on my front disc won't come out though. They apear to be 6 mm allens but my wrench just slips in them. I have shot them with some wd-40 to try and loosen them up but it just doesn't seem to work.

My wrenches are just a plain set of Husky (home depot) 3/8 drive with the squared ends(not the ball type).

man...I hope there is a simple answer out there.

Thanks

Shane

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
The "allen" head of the bolt is only to hold the bolt while you turn the nut with a socket.
Don't try and turn the bolt at the "allen" end or they will just strip. These bolts should be done up with blue locktite. Perhaps there is read loctite on the threads?
Regardless, just heat the nut with a propane torch. Should come off easily.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
Mine doesn't have nuts on the backside. The bolts go through the disc and thread straight into the hub. It has whatever locktite Kawi put on it back in 2000.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
I went ahead and just cranked on it. The allen head is a little screwed up but it came out. It finally dawned on me that the bolt was going to be garbage anyway after I replaced it with the magnetic one.

I might be a little anal about stuff like this but i just like to keep my bike clean and perfect so it can stay happy. Four years and all fasteners still look new.

Cdn Paul

Feb 25, 2005
I have run into situations where "metric" allen wrenches do not seem to fit very well. I wondered about the quality of the tool. Before you make any more attempts, buy something professional quality like snap-on or craftsman. An inexpensive impact driver with a craftsman impact quality allen socket has saved me before. Be sure you have picked out all traces of dirt in the bolt head first.

You are probably trying to break that whitish corrosion that forms between aluminum threads and fasteners. The hub is appears to be aluminum so if you use an impact driver use short sharp blows with a lightweight ballpeen.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
Thanks for the input. I did put the socket in the bolt and smack it a couple times with a hammer before removing it, my only impact is at work. As far as tool quality - I can't tell a difference between Mac, Snap-On, Crafstman or Husky for the 1/4 drive sockets and combo wrenches I use at work. I haven't compared the allen sockets...If anyone has please let me know...the screwdrivers from Snap-On and Mac most definately grip screws better than anything else I have tried though

Knetman

Mar 10, 2005
I'm not a millionaire... and don't have a huge range of tools... though they're all either Snap-On or Sidchrome. I've just built it up over the years when I've had $50 or $100 spare I'd just add another tool to the collection. It makes such a big different when you have tools you can trust... never had a broken tool yet... and I'm pretty hard on them. :bang:

No to add some more input... if the bolts are really stuck, you many be forced to use an EzeOut to remove it and retap the thread. If you have to take this option, I'd recommend replacing all the bolts with the same size for both uniformity and balance.

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
I had the same problem using a regular allen wrench. I squirted a little liquid wrench on the screw, let it sit for about 10 minutes, then I put my craftsman 6mm allen socket in my little impact ratchet wrench. This wrench can only do about 50 ft lbs. so it won't strip the head like my big wrench would, but the impact action knocked the factory loctite loose and it came right off.

Mike.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom