MicroG33k

Apr 14, 2009
I just got a 1994 KX80. As I noticed there was no kill switch, the previous owner chimed in: yeah, we just stall it when we need to shut it off."

Alright, well, I don't like that method. Where do I attach a new killswitch to? I know it's just two wires, normally-open...

MicroG33k

Apr 14, 2009
Yeah well I'm really broke right this second. I'll obtain a manual soon enough, but for now, all I want is a stinkin' stop button.

I found the suspension stuff already. Five minutes with a flashlight and five more minutes with Google.

If I can repair a relay-logic pinball machine without a service manual (which I've done), I think I can hook up two wires to make an engine stop. I know there's a difference, but the comparison is in terms of complexity. I didn't know either one when I started.

I've still got all of the wiring jumble from the 92 I was putting together. If nobody can (will) tell me, I'm sure I'll figure it out anyway.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Well, if you haven't figured it out yet, you need to find the two wires that should be near or under the fuel tank and connect a kill switch.

tom_yota

Mar 19, 2010
on my CR, there are 5 wires coming from the stator.. 3 go to the CDI/coil all that jazz, the other 2 go to the kill switch..

hopefully your bike is just as simple...

In come tacks

Feb 10, 2010
Yep, it grounds the stator output so that there's no pulse to amplify into a spark. I thought they used to just run the primary up and rely on the grounded frame and switch.

MicroG33k

Apr 14, 2009
Thank you. I retrieved the killswitch from my box of '92 parts and determined that it is defective anyway... just the same, it's a black wire with a white stripe, and the other side is grounded. I'm expecting the 94 to be the same, but all of said wiring is buried under the tank (was it like that from the factory?!) and I'm not going to tear it apart until I have a working switch to install.

tom_yota

Mar 19, 2010
wiring runs the same way on my CR.. directly north from the stator underneath the tank, then along the top frame rail to the handle bars.. Mine are G/W and osmething.. It's annoying having to pull the tank off when i want to pull the motor.. I just can't separate the wire connections with the tank on, not enough space to get a good grip on the wire connectors..

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
tom_yota said:
It's annoying having to pull the tank off when i want to pull the motor.. I just can't separate the wire connections with the tank on, not enough space to get a good grip on the wire connectors..
cut 'em where you can get to them and put another set of sta-kons??

tom_yota

Mar 19, 2010
ellandoh said:
cut 'em where you can get to them and put another set of sta-kons??

quit being all logical!!

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
sometimes i get an epiphany even if i dont know the definition :clue:

now i can pronounce it though :boss:

Attachments

• Epiphany Define Epiphany at Dictionary.com.mp3
    80.5 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

MicroG33k

Apr 14, 2009
This is just sweet. I asked what I thought was a complicated question (suspension adjustment, basically) and got like 2 replies. Asked what I thought was simple (it's two wires, and one is GROUND) and inspire two pages. :)

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
This is DRN. You'll likely get the answer to your question in the first couple posts and then the thread spins out of control and ends up being pages long. There is lots of good information mixed in with some good humor and good conversation in tons of threads around here.

Top Bottom