Stupid honda motor corp.

Backslayer

Go Big or Go Home
~SPONSOR~
May 27, 2007
Alright maybe its just me but i can't see how, here's the damn problem I went through and still going through, I bought my bike used and recently went to title it in my name, but since honda was bright enough to put the damn throttle and hot start cable over the top of the vin It has now rubbed two numbers off the sob. so the dmv won't verify the title, and I can't get any honda shop to restamp it. and Honda doesen't know what to do. Im stuck. I know this isn't a very uncommon thing considering where they put the cables and its an aluminum frame there's got to be someone that can verify the vin so I can get it titled. Wow Anyone had an experiece with this before

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'm not seeing how this is Honda's problem / fault. When you bought the bike could you read the VIN? If you could then why didn't you reroute the cables. If not then why did you buy the bike in the first place.

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
Did the origonal owner have a title for the bike ? If so the V.I.N. should be on it. I would think as long as there was proof that the bike isn't stolen, and you have a bill of sale, and the title from the previous owner, you should be able to get a title. The numbers that are stamped in the frame are worn ? wow !! I could see the sticker getting worn off, but not the actual stamped number on the neck of the frame. Hmmmm !!!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The aluminum Honda frames are not stamped.

Backslayer

Go Big or Go Home
~SPONSOR~
May 27, 2007
HondaVin.jpg

Backslayer

Go Big or Go Home
~SPONSOR~
May 27, 2007
Would that picture do you justice. and Honda aluminum frames are all stamped here. I also moved the two cables up to take this picture. and I could see them when I bought the bike, but I just never switched the title because it really didn't bother me until now that Im trying to trade it.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Backslayer said:
Would that picture do you justice. and Honda aluminum frames are all stamped here.
Yeah that will do just fine, getting people to post a pic when you ask is like pulling teeth, getting them to do it to prove you wrong is a lot easier :laugh: Think I'm bluffing? We have a CR125 in our trailer :nod:

So now that the WHOLE story seems to be coming out I'll go back to my original thought. It's too bad you chose not to register the bike when you should have and it's too bad you chose not to reroute the cables. In the end it's all back to YOU and not Honda or the previous owner so man up and deal with the problem you created. :laugh:

Backslayer

Go Big or Go Home
~SPONSOR~
May 27, 2007
Im not really mad at honda, just there help service, This can't be the first time this has happened and no one at honda can help me so yeah its my problem, and hopefully I can get it all sorted out. Maybe Ill pm AJ and see if he knows what to do. well thanks for your input patman

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Backslayer said:
...well thanks for your input patman
No problem, anytime I can be of service :) It is the flame forum and not a help forum so expecting anything more may have been a mistake.

(I noticed a similar thing but not nearly to the same extent happening on my son's CR125. I checked the cables and they were not run correctly so I corrected the issue. Just to be sure there wasn't more rubbing down the line I put a piece of vent line over that part of the cable. Not that it does you any good now but maybe next time.)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Here in Communist Kalifornia, you would have to get a vin verification to register that bike. If the numbers are missing or have been altered in any way, a Highway Patrolman would have to inspect the frame and all of the paperwork. If the paperwork is in order and the frame number has not been obviously tampered with, the CHP officer will issue a seperate tag that is rivited to the frame. You may have to check with your local DMV to see if that applies in your state.

Another option is to tig weld up the worn area and buy a set of number stamps from a industrial hardware store and restamp them yourself. Be sure the numbers are EXACTLY the same in size and shape as the other numbers on the frame or you will have a bike that will be impossible to register. Also, be sure the new number is positioned EXACTLY over the old number so it does not look like an overstamp. The welding and refinishing job would also have to be done in a very professional manner so that it looks like the frame was never touched. Any discoloration or change in the aluminum from the original area to the welded area would tip off the inspector that the frame has been altered.

Just my $ .02

Backslayer

Go Big or Go Home
~SPONSOR~
May 27, 2007
Well thought about restamping it but didn't want to take that chance. The dmv give me a number to a guy they use for these kind of situations. Im suppost to call him tomarrow and he will come to my house and inspect everything and give me a paper to take back to the dmv and with that paper they won't have to inspect it, and I will be set when I get that.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Where I live, you would be lucky if the fat butt behind the counter even knew what a motorcycle was more less a dirt bike! That would ask, "does it even have a VIN?" The answer would be, "yeah but it is in Japaneze and I can't read it".
"That'll be $125.00."

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
sounds like your flame should be with the state since the first three numbers of a vin denotes country of origin,manufacture and then make, well it is kinda obvious if it is a Japanese Honda dirt bike

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Like Ol'89r said, here in California it becomes a job for the CHP (California Highway Patrol) whenever a VIN number is lost or becomes unreadable. I would expect your state to have a similar process as this is actually a fairly common occurance. The VIN number on a car can become damaged in an accident. People take old cars and make hot rods out of them, keeping so little of the original car that the VIN is gone. In some cases you build something from scratch, such as a trailer and it needs a VIN.

This problem can be overcome. It just requires jumping through a few more hoops.

Rod

Backslayer

Go Big or Go Home
~SPONSOR~
May 27, 2007
Thanks for all the input guys. I called this guy that was suppost to know what to do and he said everyone he knows doesn't have a title to a dirt bike, and to look on the bottom of the frame cause harley puts one there, so I magically put on on the bottom of the frame and said it does have one. and I was told to bring in back to the dmv. so i will find out thursday when I get a chance to take it back up there.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Backslayer said:
Thanks for all the input guys. I called this guy that was suppost to know what to do and he said everyone he knows doesn't have a title to a dirt bike, and to look on the bottom of the frame cause harley puts one there, so I magically put on on the bottom of the frame and said it does have one. and I was told to bring in back to the dmv..

I hope "this guy" works for the DMV and you got his name to back that statement up.

It has been my experience that most people that work in the DMV are dumber than a box of rocks when it comes to registering a dirt bike. But, most DMV's do have directives that dictate how a bike is to be registered. These directives also point out the location of the vin number. If you have a vin number in the wrong place, the system will kick it out and in some states, you may get your vehicle confiscated. They know where the number should be located and they know what the number should say and look like. Any obvious modification of the vin number or vin number location is asking for trouble.

Not sure about your state but there is no way that would pass in California.

Good luck with that. :coocoo:

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Backslayer said:
Would that picture do you justice. and Honda aluminum frames are all stamped here. I also moved the two cables up to take this picture. and I could see them when I bought the bike, but I just never switched the title because it really didn't bother me until now that Im trying to trade it.

Is this dirt bike street legal or are you just going through all this hassle to trade it as an offroad vehicle?

We don't title dirt bikes down south. That's for commie pinko states like NJ and CA.

Cabot

Sep 3, 2007
Find the shop it was originally purchased at.
Check this VIN, and see if it matches your records..
If its an 05 CRF250R I'm geussing it is..
JH2ME103XSM102108 :cool:

Just looked at mine, its doing the same thing. good thing I have it written down!

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Check the bike over to see if it has a little sticky label that has a copy of the VIN on it. Many bikes made since 2003, or at least the ones intended to be sold in California, have a label that has the year, VIN, and emission information on it. Perhaps your DMV will accept that VIN

Rod

Backslayer

Go Big or Go Home
~SPONSOR~
May 27, 2007
Well just an update on my situation. I finally got the title, I took it yesterday back to the dmv with the number I stamped on the bottom and Worked like a charm no questions asked.

Top Bottom