tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
just want to say this forum is great. now when i open up the forks, i actually know what all of those parts do thanks to yall. now for the stupid question. i have a 00 cr250 with a showa suspension. the bike (when i bought it) had heavier springs both front and back. ive switched out the fork springs but am having trouble with the rear. i have the shock off the bike. HOW DO I GET THE SPRING OFF? the manual is clear as mud. there is the rebound dampner screw assembley below the spring stop. how do i get that stuff off the shock shaft so the spring will come off. there is a little phillips screw on the bottom of the assembly. is that what holds that on to the shock shaft? thanks in advance.

weatie181

Oct 30, 2003
OK tx246,
All you have to do is loosen the lock nut (the one you loosen to adjust race sag),now loosen the adjuster collar enough so you can pull the spring off the bottom collar. Now pull the bottom collar up to expose the clip that holds the bottom collar in place. Now just pull off the clip, remove the collar, and the spring will slide right off.......

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
weatie181
well, i do have the collars all the way up the shock body(off the threads) so that the spring is off the spring retainer. the only problem is that the spring retainer is one piece. there is no clip that i can tell. the hole in the retainer is smaller than the u shaped bracket attatched to the bottom of the shock shaft. that bracket has to come off somehow. that bracket has the dampner adjuster on it.

evenslower,

ha! i have a kill switch that im fixing to put on the old cr.......of course its off a kawi but hey ive replaced the honda one twice!!

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
weatie,

after cleaning the shock body up i can now see what you are talking about. it came apart just like you said. cant wait to see how the bike feels but with the weather the way it is............ill have to wait.

Top Bottom