Sub Tanks - Air Tanks - Your Experience

Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
Curious if any of you out there have any experiance using the fork - sub tanks/ air tanks for MX? If so leave a comment. What is the best way to set up the system?
Do you setup the rebound and compression that is best on the bike, then add the tanks on?

Also, once on, how do you adjust the compression clickers if the handlebar is covering it. Today I use the Ride Engineering compression adjuster, but if I add the sub tank, I can;t use the ride engineering dial to adjust the compression for different tracks because the bar is blocking it.

On todays MX bikes, is it really any advantage? I know for trail riding possibly.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Spokes574

wileyE

Jul 6, 2003
If you understand how fork oil level effects susp tuning,you have grasp on the sub tanks.

Raising the fork oil reduces the air volume above it, making the fork get stiffer toward the end of the travel and is part of the spring tuning. BUT, the air spring effect is not a very good spring because it's too rising rate, also it easily effected by temp, gets warmer and stiffer. Having more air volume by using the tanks lessens these effects and allows some different tuning think with the rest of the fork that might not be possible otherwise.

Not that a good fork setup can"t be found without them or a setup that would work just as well for a specific condition. With the tanks and a good setup the forks might work over a broader range of conditions with less condition specific compromise. It all boils down to who sets them up though.

Nothing new, everything comes back around. Many years ago H-D was playing around with it using the handlebars as the tank. A valve would isolate it actuated by the front brake to reduce brake dive.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
I love them. I run max oil height in the fork and use the air volume in the sub tank to dial in each track. My valving is fine for most conditions where I ride and the sub tank allows me to adjust bottoming resistance with ease. Close it off and the oil height slows the end of the stroke. Open it up and the fork thinks the oil height is low, that softens the last half of the travel.

Mine are the Enzo sub tanks. I bought them from MX Tech when they set up my suspension.

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh263/bigredaf/?action=view&current=image0-10.jpg

Click on the link and enlarge the pic. You can see the lines coming off the top of each fork. They go to two tanks that mount behind the number plate. The clickers are accessible as well as the tank adjustment without removing anything. They are very light, aluminum and carbon fiber.

Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
Thanks guys. My suspension is great as is, but I share my bike with my son who is 40lbs lighter, so I was thinking the sub tanks could add extra plushness when he rides it.

Presently I lower the oil hight by 10cc and turn the clickers in when I ride, and turn the clickers out when he rides - its a middle of the road compromise but gets us by. I am still thinking about the sub tanks.

Spokes574

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom