Suggestions for a place to camp and bring my9 y.o. new motorbike rider?

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
Hi guys,
I'm looking for a place where we can go for our first trail ride. My son has his XR80, and I want to take him camping somewhere which has access to easy-enough trails for him to practice his shifting,braking, turning skills in a positive manner.

Where would you recommend? Is the Lansing Cycle / Jack Pine a good place to do something like this? I was up there for the end of season trailfest last fall, but I didn't get any details on membership or how the grounds are used during off-events times.

Who would I talk with?

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Let me know if you want to use the Jack Pine lodge location. I am a member and guests are welcome. It is a great place to learn how to ride.

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
Either place looks great -

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've also got an old friend from Bay City who has been laid off for a year; and he really needs to get out with his son as well, to de-stress. If I can scare up a 150cc - 200cc four stroke loaner bike for him we'd be golden.

Now I need to pick a date; it can be mid-week, even. Anytime after May 9th.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Ditto first time out keep him on a big grassy field not a death sand trail!

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
Death sand trail!??? ha ha ha ! Marlin, you are a poet!

but yeah - I hear you there; I never even gave Gladwin ORV loop a second thought; though Ogemaw trails is just across the street, so they might be a bit on the sandy side, I don't know.

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
If you don't mind rustic camping, there is the Meadows "staging area" at the southern end of the Bull Gap system. It has a large field for where you can camp and your son can practice. There are also a number of trails that you can run from there for short loops. If I recall, there are a few sandy areas, but in general the loops are shady and dirt. On the DNR map, it is the area marked with the "P" east of 33 between Mio and Rose City.

There is also the meadows campground west of 33 south of Luzrne. Though it has pit toilets and a well, that area has a lot more sand and no grassy area where your son can practice.

Have fun!

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
www.ogemawtrails.com has grassy areas, the trails are nice for a beginner,some hillclimbs are ok for a newby, and you can see kids with training wheels on the pee wee track, after a few hours practice in these areas the boy could roll a few laps on the intermediate track. i was there last year and followed one of the neighboring campsites kids(who was a beginner) around the property with my helmetcam. i posted it on the net for his dad to watch as he didnt have a bike to ride with his boy. problem is i cant remember where i posted to

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
fatherandson said:
Let me know if you want to use the Jack Pine lodge location. I am a member and guests are welcome. It is a great place to learn how to ride.

You will not find a better place for kids to learn to ride. I have many great memories of watching my kids wearing a groove around the property.

ulmanb

Jun 12, 2003
Probably private land is going to be the best option. Not many public trails are beginner friendly, either you are working through deep sand, or if you go single track it is firmer ground but the trees and stumps are a lot closer.

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
BadgerMan said:
You will not find a better place for kids to learn to ride. I have many great memories of watching my kids wearing a groove around the property.

Where would I find information about joining the association? I didn't recall seeing anything posted on the Lansing cycle club website.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
When were you looking to ride with your son?

You do not need to join if you are accompanied by a LMC member and there are a number of us on this website.

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
Would you be interested in going up to the Jack Pine lodge on May 15th? We have that day free, though right now, with freeze warnings and high winds a blowin' I somehow cannot imagine a warm day. but hey - this is Michigan! We have to think positive!

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
OK, thanks. I'll see what's going on for memo day and if I can make it up one of the days. I think we'll try something on the 15th as well. We'll figure something out!

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
We're getting ready to go for Saturday; we might try using the northern part of the Leota loop as Jason's first trail. It's still not set in stone. Are there any other dads with young riders that are free for the 15th? If so, where would you prefer to go?

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
ellandoh said:

We went to Ogemaw trails on saturday. It was a rather nice facility, and we're hoping to go back. One thing though is that my kid isn't at all ready for dealing with the sandy conditions of the trails - He kept dumping it, and very quickly was ready to get out of those trails. However, once we got back to the main part of the camp, he and three other kids all rode endless circles around the kid's track. I had to make him stop every so often to make him drink water. It was good to see him drop it a couple times when he was out there, and note that he'd jump up, tip the bike back up, then kickstart it and keep going. The Honda XR80 looks to be a perfect bike for him this season. I'm thinking of replacing the tires on the machine and putting a fresh set on there, in the hopes that it'll give him a little more control in the sandy stuff.

I didn't get much seat time, but the point of the weekend was to let HIM enjoy himself, and in that respect, it was a great success! One scary thing I kept hearing though was the dreaded word "quad" - he kept seeing those "quads" and thought they would be a lot easier and more fun... and I kept saying "yeah, but I think there is an age restriction for riding quads"

We still want to give the Jack Pine a try; Maybe even check out Portland as well.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
did you guys find the single track? theyre alot better for a beginner.

a buddy and i are going this weekend. his friend is having his bachelor party there.

Top Bottom