agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
for one what is a RFS
for two i have had no problems with my oo kdx 200 not evan a fouled plug

Bonehead

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 15, 2001
To the xrguy from a guy that spent over $6,000.00 on mod's to my xr 400 RIDE A KTM AND YOU WILL NEVER WANT TO RIDE A XR AGAIN But if I was told I could only have one bike and there were no parts to keep it going I would take an xr over all .

One of the first 00 520exc in WA
Brake in ride was an ISDE format then a 100 mile till you puke ride 36 riders started only 7 made the 100 miles then a few more hare scrambles and then off to jawbone CAL. for 7 days of hill climbing only made it 4 days crushed the left rad trying to do the wall in the dark .The stock headlight on KTM's suck .

lots of hard miles on this 520 exc and the only two things have been rear wheel bearings and the oil breather hose .
my oil breather hose now goes to the air box

If I cant break it I don't think you can break it

00 520exc
00 380exc

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
My RFS is a VOR and its trouble free as well. It has two enduro's and lots of hard miles in Wyoming. Now its in New York State. Underrated stuff. Nice to see the RFS's from KTm are also doing well.:)

Aust 520exc

Jun 19, 2001
01' 520exc owned since Nov 2000. Ridden or raced almost every weekend since, & sometimes more. Probably got about 3000km on her, but the speedo was forcibly removed cart-wheeling over a tabletop 6 months ago with 1800km on the clock.:scream:

Not a single mechanical problem, just kept up the regular maintence

I've been thru about 4 back tyres and two front, the power really shreds them.

I've also got a 90' KTM 350 2 stroke and it is (believe it or not!) still on the original piston, re-ringed it two or three (?) years ago & everything measured up fine.

KTM's - the best bar-none!!:cool: :cool:

DEGBERT

Jan 30, 2001
:confused:

01 520 SX - 30-40 HOURS, NO PROBLEMS

00 300 EXC - 50 HOURS, NO PROBLEMS

99 380 SX (FOR SALE CHEAP) - 25 HOURS, NO PROBLEMS

FRIEND HAS A 00 200 EXC WITH OVER 200 HOURS ON THE STOCK PISTON, STILL RUNS LIKE NEW

OTHER FRIEND HAS 99 RM 250- TRANSMISSION LET GO AFTER ABOUT 10 HOURS ON BIKE, BIKE FEELS SO LOOSE YOU WOULD THINK IT HAS OVER A 1000 HOURS ON IT

KTM400EXC#232

Mar 19, 2001
How can yu get the real picture without getting replies from those who have had problems? Bit like looking at the world thru rose coloured glassses
Anyone and everyone posts their problems, it's not to difficult to find just about every failure of any type in this forum. Not to often the opposite.
You're asking specifically for replies fom those who haven't had problems (to exclude those that have had problems, I suppose).
YES.
I'm confused. Are you looking for responses from people without major problems or from everyone?
Everyone? Nice but imposible. As many as possible without faults.
The real picture is that people who have problems, are probaly more likely to post, than people who have not!
Yes, in just about every case.

Cheers mate,:silly:

Last edited:

Concho

Sep 7, 2001
I hate to continually gripe about my 01 520EXC but the thing has been a total nightmare up to this point. Here's the list of problems so far:

Mile 20:
=========
On the breakin ride the starter gear pin sheared off of the case. Complete lockup of all gears. Required an engine rebuild which was done by KTMUSA. 8 week wait. Required "unavailable to the public" parts to be shipped in from Austria.

Mile 30:
========
After I got the bike back from KTMUSA, I was experiencing overheating problems. Solved that myself by double checking all radiator hoses and changing fluid to Silkeline Pro Cool with a dash of Water Wetter.

Mile 70
========
I experienced problems with the bike coughing and then dying. Triple checked fuel level and determined I had about 1 1/2 gallons in the tank. I tried the usual YZ400 tricks of kicking the bike over with the decompression lever slightly open to clear out excessive fuel from the jug. No luck on starting the bike until the bike cooled down for about 15 minutes. Finally got it started by pushing it down a hill. Something felt wrong with the engine as it felt weak and unresponsive. At this point I took it to my local dealer where the verdict was that there was nothing wrong with the bike. Dealer did not open the engine but did put 10 miles on the bike. Grrr....

Mile 95
========
Started to get weep from waterpump. Wasn't sure of source and decided to keep a close eye on problem.

Mile 135
========
Weep got worse. Checked the waterpump area and found the impeller to have several surface scratches and a nearly broken off paddle. Looked like foreign object damage to me, but source is not known and could be from the thermoplastic impeller breaking down from earlier overheating problems.

Just got off the phone with my current local dealer which I'm pretty happy with since they've been customer focused, experienced, and responsive, but now the head doesn't want to torque down to spec. One of the head bolts keep striping out. Aack! I bought this bike in April on Friday the 13th! Is any one else here superstitious. (Once broke my collarbone on row 13 of an enduro)

Its been about 5 months of this stuff and I do like the bike and see many engineering aspects of the RFS that impress me, BUT I want ride the damn thing and not just work on it.

For the time being I'll just keep riding my mountain bike where the only thing wrong with the engine is that its fat and old.

Later,

Concho

Aust 520exc

Jun 19, 2001
Hey KTM400EXC#232, seeing as you are from Newcastle, I'm guessing you have taken you bike to the Stockton dunes.

I am pretty keen to hear how you went in the sand, on your bikes the 400 or 520? Did you try a paddle?

KTM400EXC#232

Mar 19, 2001
No, never taken these bikes onto the dunes.
Sand is too fine and very soft, gets in everywhere.
Only rideable when very wet.(compacts up).
Walking on the stuff goes past your ankles.

Much more riding in the surounding bush.

ml36

Aug 27, 2001
01 520 mxc

after 200 miles, blew both fork seals, found a hairline crack in the gas tank, kick stand bolt broke while sitting in the garage, and my exc tank is still on back order. other than that i love the bike. deffinately recommend rejetting, ocemn #3, 165 main, .75 air screw. i ride in southern indiana.

Top Bottom